Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge

A place to let everybody know about the latest news, upcoming events and your projects
Charles Twist
Founder

Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge

Post by Charles Twist » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Last year, Middlesbrough Council commissioned 4 local artists to create 4 projects for the centenary celebrations of the world-famous Transporter Bridge. I was quite happy to take over the photography part 8) .

As some of you know, I have been busy with older cameras in the last year and this has led to me taking 100 pictures of the Bridge - 1 for each year - on a half-plate camera fitted with a Rapid Rectilinear (Hoskins, 14"). For added fun, I took all the pictures on Ilford DPP, so that each print is unique and directly connected to the time and place, ie the Bridge in 2011. All 100 pictures were taken on a single day, from dawn to dusk, at regular intervals. Throughout the sequence, the lighting and the subject change. There are a lot of ideas which may interest you: the question of whether it's a series or an edition, the rhythms implicit and explicit, the reference to recent artistic movements (esp. repetitive minimalism).

The pictures go on show from the 20th of January to the 3rd of February at the Heritage Gallery (Cargo Fleet). It would be great if you could find the time to go - drop me a pm if you'd like to meet up.

Gallery address and contact details are here.

There is a private viewing on the opening night (19th of January). I would be delighted to have your company if you want to come. If you can make it, can you let me know so I can give the gallery an idea of numbers.

Thanks for looking. Best regards,
Charles