Wephota NP22 B&W Film

All the techniques and equipment needed to develop film, create glass plates or print following traditional & alternative methods
Rod

Wephota NP22 B&W Film

Post by Rod » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has used this sheet film and can offer any opinions as to how good or bad it is. I've been looking for some time for whole plate film (8.5" x 6.5") and can now get hold of some Wephota. My only other option is to wait for the next round of Ilford special size orders which won't be distributed until later in the summer. None of the usual US LF stockists seem to have any whole plate remaining from last year's special size orders.

Any comments gratefully appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Rod.

sandeha
Forum Hero

Re: Wephota NP22 B&W Film

Post by sandeha » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:10 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I think it's beautiful stuff, and it's the only emulsion I've shot on whole plate. Questions tend to arise as to specks on sheets when compared with Ilford's higher QC, but I've never found a brand that doesn't occasionally have QC problems and Ilford is out of my price range. I dev in Rodinal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandeha/27 ... 4865541617

Rod

Post by Rod » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

sandeha wrote:I think it's beautiful stuff, and it's the only emulsion I've shot on whole plate. Questions tend to arise as to specks on sheets when compared with Ilford's higher QC, but I've never found a brand that doesn't occasionally have QC problems and Ilford is out of my price range. I dev in Rodinal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandeha/27 ... 4865541617
Hi Sandeha,

Thanks for the information and the positive comments. I'd seen a few comments about emulsion holes/etc. over on the US forum so I was a little concerned, but as I'll probably introduce more defects than this during processing :roll: and I'll be scanning the negs. anyway, I guess there's nothing to worry about.

I've now ordered some from Lumiere, so I'll have to find some means of developing them :!: .

Regards,

Rod.

sandeha
Forum Hero

Post by sandeha » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Rod

Easiest for me has been an old Ilford daylight 8x10 Cibrachrome print drum, on an electric roller. I think mine cost me £15 on eBay a couple years back. I put in just 250ml of chemicals (with some adjustment for rolling) and it works as a super clean, scratch free process. The print drums have vertical ribs on the inside which help ensure that the anti-halation layer is properly dealt with, though I do a pre-soak first. Just occasionally I've had to do an extra few minutes of fresh fixing afterwards in a flat tray, but that's been rare.

Hope that's a good price from Lumiere - I haven't used any WP for ages. Pity, because it makes a helluva nice contact print on 8x10.