Printers

Find out about suppliers and repairers in the UK and abroad
dennis
Forum Hero

Printers

Post by dennis » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:22 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Good morning,
My foray into trying re-filled Epson cartridges has not worked. The printer (R800) accepts the cartridges in that they show on the set-up utility, but the computer, an ancient iMac, refuses to communicate with the printer. Conclusion - buy a new printer (& Mac, but that is another story), preferably one with a more economical ink supply than Epson. Is there a 'best buy' among the single purpose (no scanner/copier) ink jet printers that you can recommend from personal experience?
Canon seem to be popular, & their cartridges apparently come with a new print head? How does this work. I read that somewhere so may be unreliable. Thanks for any help in choosing. Dennis.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Re: Printers

Post by Joanna Carter » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:49 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

1. Did the computer talk to the printer before you tried the refillable cartridges?

2. What make are the cartridges?

3. How old is the iMac?

4. What version of OS X are you running on the iMac?
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

dennis
Forum Hero

Re: Printers

Post by dennis » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:40 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna,
1/ Yes; 2/ No name as such, On the package it is called Ink Cartridge - figures!
3/ It is an iMac G5, c mid '90s I think. Just prior to the new Intel chips which render it impossible to update.
4/ 10.4.11.
This may well be the problem. In fact the good folk at Premier Ink have refunded on the cartridges since I cannot get them to function. Hence my interest in a new printer/Mac which I shall sort out post-Christmas.
Best wishes, Dennis.