A note about Forum Security

Messages from the Administrators and instructions on how to use the forum
masch
Founder

A note about Forum Security

Post by masch » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:10 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dear All,

may I recommend to everyone, that they set the field "Always display email address" in their profiles to "No".

The reasoning is as follows: the other forum members really do not require your email address, and if you wish/require, you can always pass it in via personal message. However, if the field is set to yes, even a non forum member can see your emaoil address by scanning through the memberlist.

Furhtermore, we can not guarantee, that someone subscribes with "bad intentions". I do catch most of the obvious fake signups, but believe me, if there is no personal information other than a username and an email address, it is tricky. I'm doing my best, but my ESP isn't really working over the net... :)

The MODs and ADMINs of the board need your email address for administrative purposes, e.g. to unlock the account at the start, notify you of problems, etc.

Jo usually only needs the email details for workshops, etc, but usually will let you know directly if necessary.

Alternatively, use a "disposable email address" for this forum, as I have noticed a few already doing.

I hope this makes sense and as always, comments are welcome.

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/