Intro to article for the Large Format Journal

Messages from the Administrators and instructions on how to use the forum
PAUL O
Founder

Intro to article for the Large Format Journal

Post by PAUL O » Wed May 03, 2006 7:43 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Please find below a draft introduction to an article for the Large Format Journal on the group, its beginnings and its members. Feel free to comment or suggest ammendments!

"Persons with size-challenged cameras

The group was launched in May 2005 as a response to the increasing interest in large-format photography and view cameras – hands-on technology that is dated but not outdated in this all-automated, digital age. Fifteen people attended the meeting in Keswick giving them the chance to share their passion for this peculiar art. Most of the folk duly appeared on the shores of Derwent Water at 5am on Saturday 20/5 to enjoy the rain and low cloud. Undeterred, and fortified with some day-time sunshine, the decision was taken to meet more often and establish a web presence. This has lead to the formation of the (UK Large Format forum?), a further two meetings and an online discussion forum.

These have fostered a community where like-minded enthusiasts talk about their discoveries and the difficulties they encounter in the world of large-format photography. The group now counts fifty participants who keep in touch electronically and in the field. Many new friendships have blossomed over the last year, all revolving around the use of large-format cameras. As well as incidental meetings, official gatherings are organised twice-yearly in UK locations renowned for their beauty, usually where the weather is most photographically challenging at that time. Relaxed evenings in a local venue provide participants with the opportunity to talk shop and compare notes, as well as a chance to greet new-comers and people who are curious about these large cameras, people who have heard about them but have never used one. A warm welcome is extended to hardened user and total novice alike.

Please visit www.lf-photo.org.uk for further information.

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Wed May 03, 2006 8:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Great!
hands-on technology that is dated but not outdated in this all-automated, digital age
I'd change that to " dated and somewhat outdated", personally...

And a line about the tea-room-appreciaction-sub-committee would be usefull, to show we aren't all standing in the rain continously for hours (well, actually we are...).

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Wed May 03, 2006 10:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

We need to decide on a name for our group before this intro gets sent off. Paul, any chance you can set up a poll soon? Could we not also consider names without any reference to society or LF, etc - something like "Bellows" (presumably with a snappy slogan like "Forging ahead" :wink: )? I am sure there is a snappy descriptive title out there. Anyone any ideas?
As for the text, I prefer the original (but then I would).
Marc, does your space-suit-cum-dark-cloth come with a pocket to hold a cup of tea and shelter it from the rain? Personally, I have fond memories of the bacon butties served up in the Keswick car park...
Charles

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Thu May 04, 2006 7:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

If you're looking for a "different" approach to a name for the group then how about ...

GROUP 1839 ?

1839 being the date that Herschel first used the term "photography".

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Thu May 04, 2006 11:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Personally, I think name wise we should stay as simple as possible.

"UK Large Format Group" or "UK Large Format Photography Group" is simple and to the point. Anyone who knows a little about photography should know what it is about. No mistakes, no misunderstanding. :idea: :!:

My 2p.

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/