Old lens and shutter - any use ?

A place to talk about cameras, lenses, tripods, etc. and how to use them
Dave Tolcher

Old lens and shutter - any use ?

Post by Dave Tolcher » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have had an old folder sitting in the corner for sometime (well on a shelf) - a no name mahogany and brass 1/2 plate. I hadnt bothered to look at the lens until I started thinking about larger formats, contact printing and seeing what is doable on black & white. Anyway...

Its a Thornton pickard Time & inst shutter which seems to work just fine. The lens is a Clement & Gilmer Paris f7 Panorthostigmat brass lens with Iris Diaphragm. From what I have been able to find its likely to be about 8in in focal length.
Will it cover 10x8 by any chance ?
What is the quality like and would it be worth trying on 5x4 ?
If I want to mount the TP shutter on a modern lens board so I can put it on 5x4 for e.g an arca plate how does the shutter get detached from the board its on or do i have to mount the board on a board ?
The TP shutter, as I say seems to work OK but does it need a service ?

Thanks

Dave

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Re: Old lens and shutter - any use ?

Post by Andrew Plume » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:17 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dave

the C&G lens is as you've said an f7

with all elements in place, it's very unlikely that it will cover 10 x 8, however if you test each element solely, then you may well find that either or both of them, could well cover 10 x 8

absolutely no reason at all why it shouldn't be tried on 4 x 5, although I see that you do have a new 10 x 8 acquisition.......................to play around with..................

with the value of T-P shutters, to be pretty frank a CLA would cost more than it could be acquired for

shutters of this nature were either used behind the lens or front mounted, so that the lens hood slotted into the back of the shutter, of course if you opted for the latter, then this will cut down on the available coverage

regards

andrew

Dave Tolcher

Post by Dave Tolcher » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:43 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Andrew, indeed I have a new 10x8 to play with. Its really rather nice, not as heavy as I thought and the 158mm lens is very nice. I have a 300mm Nikkor which covers 10x8 so that is all I will need. The bag bellows are quite compact and will accomodate the 300mm by the looks of things.

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dave Tolcher wrote:Thanks Andrew, indeed I have a new 10x8 to play with. Its really rather nice, not as heavy as I thought and the 158mm lens is very nice. I have a 300mm Nikkor which covers 10x8 so that is all I will need. The bag bellows are quite compact and will accomodate the 300mm by the looks of things.

thanks Dave

regards

andrew