View lens is a View lens?

A place to talk about cameras, lenses, tripods, etc. and how to use them
Darwinean_John

View lens is a View lens?

Post by Darwinean_John » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

About a year ago - whilst still fairly new to LF - I purchased a Schneider Kreuznach Super-Angulon 165mm F/8.0 Lens that came with a compur shutter on a Sinar lens board.
Whilst it wasn't mentioned in the ad - and I hadn't realised at the time of purchase - it appears that the 'usual format' for this lens is 10x8.
So, whilst disappointed at first, I have tucked it away thinking that I may acquire a 10x8 system sometime in the future.

However, I recently read somewhere (Bob Salomon springs to mind as the poster) that view lenses can be used on all formats subject to the constraints of the lens 'image circle'.

So, is it feasible to mount this beast of a lens on a more appropriate lens board for my 5x4 camera?
Still learning to see

Dave Tolcher

Re: View lens is a View lens?

Post by Dave Tolcher » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:54 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Yes you can mount it on any camera with the correct board - assuming your standards will bear the weight :roll: You will have an insane amount of movement available to you in 5x4. As I recall this is quite a sought after and valuable lens on 10x8 so if you werent going to move to 10x8 then could be worth checking its current value.

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Re: View lens is a View lens?

Post by Andrew Plume » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:47 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/img/info ... r_4_04.jpg

will bring up a page from the 1978 Schneider lens brochure regarding this lens

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/inf ... der_5.html

and this one is the link to their 1986 brochure and which confirms that the maximum format coverage for this lens is in fact 10 x 12, which to me will produce a 'very wide image'

regards

andrew