A suitable printer

All talk about software, scanners, printers, digital backs, etc.
Charles Twist
Founder

A suitable printer

Post by Charles Twist » Wed May 16, 2012 8:39 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I want to produce internegs for the VDB process. My cheap inkjet printer is leaving vertical tramlines - which are not too noticible - and horizontal lines of pigment-less dots - almost like rows of pin-pricks in the interneg which look frightfully unanalog. So I need something less nasty. But I am very loath to go for a Epson whizz-bang printer (2880 et al), because I have a very low output and I don't want the ink costs and maintenance issues. I don't care about colour casts - I just need a straight reproduction of the composition, with no holes and no lines.
And it'll have to do my day-to-day, letter printing as well. Colour is useful. Suggestions around £100ish would be great. Would a colour, laser printer do a better job than an ink-jet?
Thanks,
Charles

michaelfinch

Re: A suitable printer

Post by michaelfinch » Thu May 17, 2012 9:33 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Charles. Recently, I've needed positives for the gravure process. I did some on my LF printer and for comparison searched around for image setters and came across http://www.positivityltd.co.uk
I had a sample output by them and it was perfect. Upload a file and they'll send back your positive or negative (make sure you make it clear that you want a neg plus they're good to talk to) in a couple of days for what I think are reasonable charges. Well worth a look.