Jack Dykinga's talk at the Portrait Gallery

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Paul Mitchell

Jack Dykinga's talk at the Portrait Gallery

Post by Paul Mitchell » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I only heard about it at the last minute but managed to attend the talk by Jack Dykinga at the National Portrait Gallery. It was sooo hot and sticky in central London that to retreat to the air conditioned comfort of the lecture theatre was heaven. I have read one or two of Jack's books and have somehow felt myself distanced from his images, probably caused by the geographical distance. Having Jack out there in the front talking about his images brought them so much closer to me. The 2 hour talk was an absolute treat.

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:57 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

So jealous.. Jack is one of my favourite landscape togs. Some of his photographs really transcend the medium. I've just received Stone Canyons (via Alibris) but haven't seen his Death Valley book yet. Has anybody else got it? Does it live up to his back cataglog?
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have a signed copy of his Mojave & Death Valley right in front of me! As you can imagine it's stunning and more than lives up to his back catalogue. Unfortunately it's not mine:(, kindly loaned by a friend. I was half expecting to see you there Tim, I went with Roger Longdin, we were also in the privileged company of Mr Cornish & Mr Ward.

jennym
Forum Hero

Post by jennym » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:01 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Sounds fantastic. How did you hear about it? Do you know if he is doing any more talks in the UK? I couldn't find anything on the National Portrait Gallery website...

Jenny

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:14 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Jenny, the lecture was organised by the London RPS and I was only told about it through a friend. I suppose there were only about 60 people there. I think Jack is over here to judge on the next WLPotY competiton and then going back.

Paul

jennym
Forum Hero

Post by jennym » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Paul. It is just nice to know where to look out for things like this. I guess this one wasn't well advertised. Glad you enjoyed it.

Jenny

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:50 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul Mitchell wrote:I have a signed copy of his Mojave & Death Valley right in front of me! As you can imagine it's stunning and more than lives up to his back catalogue. Unfortunately it's not mine:(, kindly loaned by a friend. I was half expecting to see you there Tim, I went with Roger Longdin, we were also in the privileged company of Mr Cornish & Mr Ward.
Ah I would have loved to have been there... David did tell me about it but I was only just back from Northumberland. I didn't realise you knew Roger either - tell him he needs to get some of his pictures scanned!

Tim

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:19 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

timparkin wrote:I didn't realise you knew Roger either - tell him he needs to get some of his pictures scanned!

Tim
Roger introduced me to LF and he's the reason why I'm so skint! Unfortunately Roger finds it very difficult to even say the word dddddigitaaal never mind use it. I do have the advantage though of being able to go round to his house and marvel at his Cibachromes :D

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:31 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul Mitchell wrote:
timparkin wrote:I didn't realise you knew Roger either - tell him he needs to get some of his pictures scanned!

Tim
Roger introduced me to LF and he's the reason why I'm so skint! Unfortunately Roger finds it very difficult to even say the word dddddigitaaal never mind use it. I do have the advantage though of being able to go round to his house and marvel at his Cibachromes :D
Damn.. I'm jealous. Roger is very talented..

Dave Tolcher

Post by Dave Tolcher » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Almost painful to know this was on and I didnt have an opp to go. You can learn so much by seeing someone talk to their pictures.

I have been on quite a few L & L courses with Roger, last being a year ago. I thought he was considering getting some scans done then. Agree he is very talented and his cibas are great. I hope to bump into him again in the Lakes in November.

Aynsley Cooper

RPS Talk

Post by Aynsley Cooper » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:43 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I found this on a chance visit to the RPS site (and I'm a member, so I should do better...) so DO take a look at their regional events from time to time, you never know!
I enjoyed his talk immensely.