film handling

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
everedi

film handling

Post by everedi » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:23 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

As a complete novice with regard to LF photography I have a few questions relating to the handling of exposed film.

I intend to do my own B&W processing, when I have the kit (I have been processing roll film for years) but would also like to use colour film also, for which I intend to send to a commercial lab.

My question is how do you store the exposed film and then send it to the lab. I have a couple of boxes of unexposed film but nothing to store the film in when exposed. What system is best.

Thanks

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Re: film handling

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:04 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

everedi wrote:AMy question is how do you store the exposed film and then send it to the lab. I have a couple of boxes of unexposed film but nothing to store the film in when exposed. What system is best.
Most people keep one film box, complete with its bags and card folders, when all the film has been used out of it, and reuse that for sending film to labs - with an obvious note to the lab to return the box, bags and cards with the processed film.

The only problem to this system is getting hold of another box whilst the first box still contains unexposed film. But, you could try calling the lab you intend to use to see if they will send any spare boxes they may have lurking around.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Brian E

Film Handling

Post by Brian E » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:10 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Many years ago(15 at least) I purchased some plastic film boxes from Mike Walker - I don't know if he still makes them

Brian
Gandolfiuser

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Re: film handling

Post by dave_whatever » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:28 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote:you could try calling the lab you intend to use to see if they will send any spare boxes they may have lurking around.
this is exactly what I did with Peak - they sent me one in the post (especially nice since they could quite reasonably have told me to sod off and drive the 10 minutes from my house to their lab). Can't fault the service there.