Colour 5x7 in the UK?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Acheron Photography

Colour 5x7 in the UK?

Post by Acheron Photography » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:55 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter was kind enough to reply to a post of mine on the Large Format Photography Forum and suggest that I post here, so here goes...

Do you good folks have any advice to offer on the practicality of 5x7 colour in the UK? I've noted the difficulties of finding 5x7 double darks - there is a post about this in the Classifieds section. Film doesn't seem exactly easy to come by either, although of course one can cut 10x8. And as I prefer to use a lab rather than DIY, I'll need one that has the right hangers,..

If you shoot colour 5x7, how do you do it? and who do you use? And if you have a 5x7 camera but don't shoot that size, what has put you off?

Many thanks

David.

George Hart
Forum Hero

Post by George Hart » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

David, I do a bit of colour in 5x7 size (more B&W!) using Velvia 100 from Japan Exposures. UK labs that I am informed have the correct hangers include MPS Liverpool (mpsimaging.co.uk), Colorbase Headington Oxford (colorbase.co.uk), Metro Imaging London (metroimaging.co.uk), Bayeux London (bayeux.co.uk), and there are more besides. I haven't used all of these, but I know of others who have.

I have not seen the new Velvia 50 listed in 5x7, but Provia and Velvia 100F are available. I don't think that there is any colour negative film in 5x7 on the market right now.

Some diehards, including QTL, are adept at cutting down 10x8 film, and QT has posted a brief summary of his method of doing this on one of his sites.

B&W is another story of course! Plenty film, easy to develop in trays or a Jobo tank, fantastic size and aspect ratio, excellent range of lenses, and so on.

George

Acheron Photography

Post by Acheron Photography » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:10 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

George Hart wrote:David, I do a bit of colour in 5x7 size (more B&W!) using Velvia 100 from Japan Exposures. UK labs that I am informed have the correct hangers include MPS Liverpool (mpsimaging.co.uk), Colorbase Headington Oxford (colorbase.co.uk), Metro Imaging London (metroimaging.co.uk), Bayeux London (bayeux.co.uk), and there are more besides...

George
Many thanks George. Japan Exposures is a great tip and I appreciate it.

Metro did tell me in person that they didn't do 5x7, but the person at the desk might simply have been mis-informed. I'll definitely check out Colorbase and MPS.

Cheers

David.

Sal Santamaura

Post by Sal Santamaura » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:42 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

George Hart wrote:...I don't think that there is any colour negative film in 5x7 on the market right now...
In stock and ready to ship with a mininum order of one box:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2 ... heets.html