My first neg for years!

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Dave Dawson
Forum Hero

My first neg for years!

Post by Dave Dawson » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi All, I shot a couple of 5"x4" FP4's today at work (the subject matter was nothing exciting) AND developed them.....This is the first negs I have done in about 20 years :shock: and this has spurred me on to get the darkroom finished and do some RA-4... You never know I may come to Wales (if I'm welcome!) I'm sure the subject matter is better in Wales than Holloway :D

Cheers Dave

EddieB

Re: My first neg for years!

Post by EddieB » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:29 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Good man Dave!!

The first neg's are the worst - that's what they told me, anyway. Fooled me for a while, but I proved that wasn't necessarily the case :lol: .

There's no doubt that Wales has lots to offer - I'm only judging by the work of others, I haven't had time to explore there with a camera - yet.

I'm in Scotland, and there's plenty of subject matter here. Definitely needed waterproof gear locally for the past week, though :( .

All the best with the new-found re-discovered fascination :wink: .
Eddie

all I'm asking is for a bit of sunlight in the right spot when I'm ready

Dave Dawson
Forum Hero

Post by Dave Dawson » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:15 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'll have to slow down or I'll run out of film :D

It was such a nice afternoon that I jumped in the van and drove up to the top of Parliment Hill and took some more shots (sorry but it was only mf on my RZ67 :( ) AND THEN it was streight to the Jobo and I processed the roll. I think I'll have to have a lay down now :wink: When there airn't so many people around I may well venture up there with 5x4 :)

Cheers Dave

EddieB

Post by EddieB » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Dave

Yeah, that miniature 6x7 stuff 's just not the same... :wink:

In a crowded area, with your 5x4 toy, your head in a black bag, peering at a ground glass trying to work out best focus / exposure / movement... while everybody peers at the "nutter under the blanket" :roll: ... now that's photography! :D

How's the darkroom coming on?

Regards
Eddie

Dave Dawson
Forum Hero

Post by Dave Dawson » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:04 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Eddie wrote "How's the darkroom coming on?"

Eddie, It's all very slow :roll:

I have the major componants but am still lacking many of the minor bits like a masking frame etc......I still have to make a 'seperation' stub wall out of timber and plasterboard. I did howver 'liberate' a 42" Rotatrim from work the other day to cut the rolls of RA-4 paper up :)

I HOPE to have it operational by Christmas but seeing as a snail overtook me the other day it could be Christmas 2011 !

Cheers Dave

EddieB

Post by EddieB » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:22 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dave, I know how you feel - I'm moving my darkroom from the loft (no running water unless I carry up a ladder - damages my standing in the popoularity stakes with senior members of the household :( ). I've cleared out one half of the garage - where does all that rubbish come from? :shock: - then it's a stud partition around the walls, insulation, a couple of worktops, running water and bob's your uncle! That didn't take long to describe - if only :lol:

I'm stuck at the cleared out stage at the moment - and in severe danger of the empty space being filled again if I don't get a move on. By Christmas? By heck! :lol:

Still, Santa's Elves may lend a hand??? I'm away to get the letter written and sent up the chimney...

Cheers
Eddie

Dave Dawson
Forum Hero

Post by Dave Dawson » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Eddie wrote "I've cleared out one half of the garage - where does all that rubbish come from? "

My misses suggested I buy an additional garden shed to put all MY junk in :D It is now nearly full up with HER junk :(

Ahhh the days of working in a loft darkroom on a summers evening with sweat off my brow dripping into the developing trays....No more, I collect a two piece air conditioning unit on Wednesday for my new darkroom :wink: Even in the winter with 600 watts of enlarger and a processor running I want to be as cool as a cucumber 8)

Cheers Dave

EddieB

Post by EddieB » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Air Conditioning??!! :shock: Sounds like you're setting a standard there, Dave! I can see I'm going to have up my game here - I thought i was going to be happy just to re-create Superman's "Fortress of Solitude" in an area where no-one could get in (keep the keys on the inside :wink:).

Sounds like I'm going to have to consider ventilation more seriously than stepping outside for a quick breather :lol:

I never realised you were supposed to be comfortable in a darkroom!

Cheers
Eddie

Dave Dawson
Forum Hero

Post by Dave Dawson » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

A man should always build a darkroom that can double-up as a place to stay over night if the misses throws a frying pan at you :shock:

Cheers Dave