Stuck Filter.

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Stuck Filter.

Post by Keith Tapscott » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:57 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have a Hoya 1A skylight-filter on my 240mm Nikkor-W lens which I can not unscrew as I don`t have a large enough filter wrench. Any advice? :?:

Emmanuel Bigler
Forum Hero

Re: Stuck Filter.

Post by Emmanuel Bigler » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

A friendly hello from across the Channel (a hot place where we now envy those living in cool climates, close to the North Sea or any other large & _cool_ mass of water ;) ! )

You can try to wear a pair of very dry kitchen rubber gloves first and see what happens, you'll get a much better grip.
Without any tool I would, next, try to press the whole lens flat on a table against some rubber sheet like the palm of an old rubber glove for kitchen use ; and twist the whole lens. May be the grip supplied by the rubber glove will be enough.

If all this fails, as I am a tool-collector I would be too happy to find a reason to buy a pair of rubber strap wrenches like this kind of wrenches designed to open glas jars with "twist-off" lids. Two wrenches make the perfect system with torque and counter-torque !
http://www.newsungroup.com.tw/images/pr ... %20SET.jpg

all advertisings & images found by google relative to this kind of products :
http://images.google.fr/images?safe=act ... a=N&tab=wi

The problem is that the rubber strap might be too wide for the filter ring... I have two pairs of cheap plastic filter wrenches bought from SRB-Griturn in the UK but they are quite difficult to use and I do not know if the larger set is wide enough for your filter (a 240 Nikkor-W is probably fitted with a filter diameter bigger than 80 mm ?)

Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Post by Keith Tapscott » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Emmanuel Bigler wrote:A friendly hello from across the Channel (a hot place where we now envy those living in cool climates, close to the North Sea or any other large & _cool_ mass of water ;) ! )

You can try to wear a pair of very dry kitchen rubber gloves first and see what happens, you'll get a much better grip.
Without any tool I would, next, try to press the whole lens flat on a table against some rubber sheet like the palm of an old rubber glove for kitchen use ; and twist the whole lens. May be the grip supplied by the rubber glove will be enough.
Thanks Emmanuel, that is what I did. Problem solved. :D

DJ
Site Admin

Post by DJ » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

And one hopes you did the washing up whilst you were about it... :wink:

dennis
Forum Hero

Post by dennis » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:17 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

FWIW I use a 10mm wide nylon tie to open recalcitrant paint tubes & imagine it would probably work on a stuck filter.