Clueless : Ok on "loading", but what about unloadi

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
buze

Clueless : Ok on "loading", but what about unloadi

Post by buze » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:48 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ok I've read a bazillion pages about the manipulation of the film, and I found a couple of interesting (with pictures!) pages on how to load the film. So I think I'm sorted on that front...

My question is; what do do afterward ? Nobody ever mention anything past "Put the darkslide back in, you now have the exposed film ready to process"; yeah right :D

So, for B&W I supose I could store it in a spare film box until I want to process it, but what about E6 ? How to you post it ? I found Peak Imaging will process 4x5 E6 (I currently use dlab7 for all my 120) but in what sort of light tight packaging do you put it once exposed, for postage?

Michel

Chong

Post by Chong » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:33 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Michel,
When I sent my films away for processing, whether E6 or BW, I sent them in the film box that the film came in. Obviously don't mixed transparencies and BW together in one box. The film boxes are light tight and just taped around it to secure the box before sealing it in a bubble envelope. I usually write on the box too "Caution:- Exposed films. Open only in Dark Room". Hope that help.

Regards

Chong

buze

Post by buze » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:48 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

So you do have to send/finish a whole box ? I hoped to be able to send a couple slides now and then; at least at first to debug the photographer :D

Good advise about the warning note tho, I'll keep that in mind.

Chong

Post by Chong » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Michel,

It would be difficult if you have not got spare boxes. Some nice forum contributors here might have a few spares empty boxes. I have got plenty of empty boxes but too far for me to send them to you.

If you are near a pro lab, you could bring in the film holders and ask them to unload the films for you in their dark room.

Regards

Chong

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I tend to save up E6 sheet film until I can fill a box, although this seems expensive when you post off a box of 50 sheets. For E6 I use Peak Imaging, and go for the 20% discount with 25 or more sheets.

If I need film processed quicker, I drop it into a local lab, and ask them to give me back the box and all inners, these I then reuse. The local lab only gets small amounts of film as they are more expensive.

As I develop my own B&W, I save the Ilford boxes and reuse, either for keeping B&W in until I develop, or use for E6, but write E6 in black felt pen all over it, crossing out all details of the original film. I also tape the film box shut, just incase the lab drops it and everything spills out in on the floor and gets fogged.

Quickloads are another option, no need for storage boxes, but are more expensive unless you buy just out of date.

Dealing initially with small amounts of film its very useful if you have a lab close to you, I'm lucky I have one 5 minutes off one of my routes into work.

keffs

Post by keffs » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:45 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Steve Bell wrote:.... I drop it into a local lab, and ask them to give me back the box and all inners, these I then reuse. The local lab only gets small amounts of film as they are more expensive. ...
Who is this local lab? I live not too far away from Aylesbury, so I am interested in who they are.

Steve

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The local lab is Colourbase, in Headington, Oxford. They charge £2 + VAT per sheet, and I've had no problems with their processing. I've dropped in one morning on my way to work, and picked up the next. With just a small amount the extra cost is cancelled by Peak's £1.80 return postage.

buze

Post by buze » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:51 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I emailed Peak Imaging about the problem of sending them stuff when getting started, and Wayne Gledhill (General Manager, no less) very kindly sent me an empty light-tight film box !

Now, thats service :D