Gossen Lunasix 3s Zone system dial?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Matthew Rolfe

Gossen Lunasix 3s Zone system dial?

Post by Matthew Rolfe » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:04 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello,
I am hoping that I can get some help on how to use a Gossen Lunasix 3s......as I am really stuck. I do not have the manual for it and I am unsure as to how I should use the Zone system dial.
when I take a lightmeter reading I have to turn the dial so that the number from the indicator scale is inline with the yellow triangle in the transfer scale. But what I want to know is, how do I go about placing that exposure on Zone V, or any zone? Do I have to place the same number from the indicator scale opposite the desired Zone V?? From an exposure I took earlier I tried this and by placing the same indicator number (15) opposite both the yellow triangle and opposite Zone V made my exposure 6 stops less? Where am I going wrong? or is this correct?
I know that this may be a really stupid question but I do not have the instructions and the online instructions fail to explain full how to use the lightmeter, especially the Zone System scale.
Many thanks
Matthew
Last edited by Matthew Rolfe on Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:59 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

gari
Forum Hero

Re: Gossen Lunasix 3s Zone system scale?

Post by gari » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Matthew, are you using the spotmeter attachment or the incident meter? If you are incident metering you won't really be able to use the meter for the zone system.
If you are using the spot attachment there should be 2 marks, one is green and I don't remember the other, sorry.
The green mark should correspond with the 7.5deg spot setting, the other is for 10deg, red maybe.
Firstly you need to understand that the meter reading will be ZoneV, that's what the meter is calibrated for, also it is easier to work with Exposure Values, or the EV scale, these shall be the numbers I refer to. So lets say that you want to place your meter reading on ZoneIII.
Take a meter reading of the subject, say 8 on the EV scale. This is your zoneV, to "place" this reading on zoneIII you need to reduce the exposure by 2 zones, so you line up 10 on the EV scale with the green mark. So now 10 is your zoneV and 8 is your zoneIII.
The full line up would be thus, ZII-7EV, ZIII-8EV, ZIV-9EV, ZV-10EV, ZVI-11EV, ZVII-12EV and ZVII-13EV
It is of course easier if you have a zone dial on the meter, you can make one quite easily.
I suggets you get a copy of Ansel Adams "the negative" or other B/W how to or do a search on the web. It is a fairly easy system to understand once you get over the initial explenation and diagrams which can seem a little daunting at first glance. It is a great way of understanding tonal values and really helps with learning to see and read tones and placements. As I mentioned briefly at the top of this post, it is for reflective meter only, it won't work with incident metering.

Gari

I would brace yourself as this could well generate lots of posts, plenty of folks on here with lots of knowledge and a willingness to share. Enjoy...
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

EddieB

Post by EddieB » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:51 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Matthew

If you don't have the manual, have you tried a search on the 'net?

Try this one - there are quite few a few others - do a search on "Gossen Lunasix 3s manual"

www.butkus.org/

Regards
Eddie

all I'm asking is for a bit of sunlight in the right spot when I'm ready

Matthew Rolfe

Post by Matthew Rolfe » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:46 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi, I am looking to get hold of a spot meter attachment for the gossen, but in the meantime I am just using the reflected readings, ie going as close as possible to anything I want a reading from. Hence why I am looking to buy a spot meter attachment to save me from all the fence climbing, tree climbing and the general difficulty of having to get within a few feet, or even inches, of anything I want a reading from, I do consider myself to be quite young and fit so maybe for the next few years I will be fine :D

The Gossen I own has the Zone system scale on it. I understand the Zone system well and use it in my work, but I didn't have a clue how you used the zone system dial actually on the light meter. Thankyoui Gari for clearing that up! I would have spent ages trying to figure it out....

I did look at several instructions/manuals for the Gossen Lunasix3s on the internet but all they offered was a brief explanation of the zone system (which i'm fine with) and then they suggested reading 'The Negative' (which I have read)...but no explanation of how you actually use the zone system dial on the lightmeter!! :?

Another quick question...The Gossen is roughly a stop and a half to two stops out in its readings (when I checked against the sunny 16 method) Is the 'sunny 16' rule a half decent way to check a lightmeter? without paying for expensive repair. Or is there another way to check its reading.

Thankyou for your responses
Last edited by Matthew Rolfe on Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:31 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew Rolfe

Re: Gossen Lunasix 3s Zone system dial?

Post by Matthew Rolfe » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:14 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

.......Or does anyone know of a decent place to get the meter calibrated/repaired?

lostlandsuk

Re: Gossen Lunasix 3s Zone system dial?

Post by lostlandsuk » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:36 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Matthew -the Lunasix 3S is a great meter.
To use the Zone system bit, take your reading (say 14 for example on the meter needle dial) align it with the yellow triangle; just below that is the silver LW/EV strip which will give a 'value of just below 9' (in this example). This is aligned with the V on the black Zone strip just below. If you want to place the shadows on ZIII, move the dial until the 'value of just below 9' is against the ZIII mark, voila- reading for ZIII exposure!
Gossen will calibrate and service your meter - just contact their service department - very very quick indeed.
I have 2 versions of the manual - if I get a chance I could scan it for you.
Cheers
Phil