Who are we?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
PAUL O
Founder

Who are we?

Post by PAUL O » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Further to discussions on Saturday evening at Somerset, it has been decided to think of a suitable name/title for this group. The group has been known as "THE UNITED KINGDOM LARGE FORMAT PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP" but it is felt that we need a title to reflect exactly what we are about. The term "workshop" was used initially as I envisaged the group as a pool of large format users who would get together and assist/help/encourage newcomers to this area of photography - hence "workshop". I also thought that as large format photographers each of us is continually learning new techniques/ideas as we continue to develop so I thought the word "workshop" encompassed this "education-aspect" to the group. However, as we have continued to develop over the last 11 months it is clear that we have outgrown this title? We need a new name that reflects the fact that we are a UK-based group, that we are not simply an internet-based forum and that our aims (in my opinion) are to foster and develop large format photography (primarily) within the UK through web-based communication combined with regular gatherings where we all meet in person rather than only in cyberspace! There have been a few suggestions and as ever, we will decide on a title in a democratic way! Please have a think of an appropriate name for our group and submit your ideas. When a list has been compiled each person will have a vote on the name/title they feel most suiteable - the title with most votes wins.

PLEASE NOTE, Guy's suggestion of THE UK LARGE FORMAT TEA-SHOP APPRECIATION SOCIETY will not be considered no matter how many votes it gets!

Happy thinking!

Guy

Post by Guy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:31 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

How about "sponsored by Whitards, in association with Mr Kipling?!" :lol:

Anyway how about:( & I guess, do we need to be country specific? If we are not then it becomes very inclusive)

The Large Format Society

The Large Format Group

The Large Format Association (closest I can find on google is the Large Format Cinema Association)

The Large Format Organisation

Personal pref would be for the first....

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:51 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

How about

THE UK LARGE FORMAT SOCIETY
(sponsored by Mr Kipling) - the strap line could be optional :)

In my opinion we need to maintain the "UK" in the title - this may be beneficial when it comes to future sponsors etc and it reinforces our identity as a UK-wide group?

"Large Format" - obvious!

"Society" - to me this conveys a well-organised group (and with a bit of kudos over "group"?)

Another for the list?

SteveH
Forum Hero

Post by SteveH » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I like the direction of last one, but given that this will be a web presence, I think the word Photography needs to be in there somewhere and that Society comes across as being a bit staid... how about:

The UK Large Format Photography Group

Steve
Big is beautiful.

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'd agree with wanting "Photography" in there otherwise it'll be a bit non-descript. Searching on the web for UKLF comes up with a lot of hits for UK Land Forces (army etc) and an odd reference to the UK Leather Federation (a trade body apparently :wink: )

Entering UK Large format returns mainly the copying and printing industry whereas including photography comes back with things right up our street... :)

Charles Twist
Founder

name

Post by Charles Twist » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:48 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I agree that something posher than Forum would be nice. My main concern is all the bureaucratic aspect. I like Society and its olde worlde connotations that match our approach. Are there any requirements that we register a society, then have a president, secretary and treasurer, etc.?
The other aspect is "Large Format". Are we strictly large format? Would we ban anyone with a 6x9 view camera? Should I reject G.Hart's pictures on the basis that they are not big enough?? We are not "View Camera" as John Fontana uses a pinhole camera.
How about: Society for the appreciation of bad weather in beautiful parts of the country???
We seem to do a lot of outdoors-type stuff; should that get a mention? I think not, but something to mull over.
Charles

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Both Patrick D. and I are members of a medium format slide group and the idea behind that was to not let beaurocracy / red tape take over the system - we had a "group leader" as someone who was a contact and the one who stood up at the front to introduce speakers, announcements etc. This worked fine for many years as we are a group of friends with a common interest.

Applying for a grant forced us into the miniature committee, constitution, bank accounts, signatories etc. Technically we still have a group leader but also a secretary and treasurer but the latter two hardly do anything.

I think we would be OK keeping it as a bunch of friends until we have to change.

If, as a group, we wanted to be affiliated to a photographic federation, then we might have to look at some red tape... :(

PS - for the outdoors stuff, I spent most of my time indoors and too 30+ sheets (not developed yet) which I guess could be a few more than the outside crowd took... :roll:

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Tue May 16, 2006 12:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I think using 'Society' in the name makes us sound as if we have a commitee and officers, rather than the loosely organised group we are, therefore I'm in favour of using 'Group' in the name.

I like Steve's suggestion The UK Large Format Photography Group. It's a bit of a mouthful, but it would be difficult to shorten and still maintain its meaning.

It would be a good idea to call for more suggestions, then vote on them. My only worry re voting on the forum is that only about half of those on the mailing list have joined up.

Quentin

Post by Quentin » Sat May 20, 2006 12:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

We need to be funkier 8)

LF Dudes UK

Mines Bigger Than Yours Group

Hernias-r-us

OK, maybe I sense some resistance, so I'd vote for Steve's suggestion but reduce "Photography" to "Photo" and put UK at the end so its

Large Format Photo Group UK, popssibly reduced to LF Photo Group as shorthand.

Or whatever.

Quentin

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Sat May 20, 2006 2:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The Whatever group? Now there's an idea.
As for MBTY: wicked! I like it, but I am surprised your message did not got censored by the thought police. What quite were you thinking of when you wrote that?
I am all for the UK Low-Fat Produce Guide, aka the UKLFPG.
Charles

Richie Hall

Who are we?

Post by Richie Hall » Tue May 23, 2006 6:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Having only just joined tonight feel a bit cheeky voicing my opinion :oops: However, as i would like to quickly become an active participant i will offer it anyway. I quite like " The UK large format collective" not to stuffy i think.