Why are dark cloths red and black

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
robinb

Why are dark cloths red and black

Post by robinb » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi

I have 2 dark cloths which are both black and red
they come from differnt places and are of different construction

Anybody know what the differnt colours are for ?

Thanks

Robin

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Re: Why are dark cloths red and black

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

robinb wrote:I have 2 dark cloths which are both black and red

Some reckon the red is an anti-vampire warning :roll: Others say that the red side is for to attract bulls in fields whilst the black side is for hiding behind :P

Seriously though, I haven't yet found an explanation, apart from to tell which side is the outside (the black). I use a Paramo darkcloth from Light and Land; it is the same black colour all over, apart from the elasticated collar which holds it to the camera; IMO, it is the best darkcloth I have used.

There is also the BlackJacket, which has sleeves and is black on the inside and silver on the outside; very useful for pretending there is a nuclear emergency, thus frightening off people that might get in your shot :lol:
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

joolsb
Forum Hero

Post by joolsb » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:17 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I just use a fleece sweatshirt which is black all over. I suppose I could always buy a red one and sew the two together.... :D

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:45 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote:
robinb wrote:I have 2 dark cloths which are both black and red

Some reckon the red is an anti-vampire warning :roll: Others say that the red side is for to attract bulls in fields whilst the black side is for hiding behind :P

Seriously though, I haven't yet found an explanation, apart from to tell which side is the outside (the black). I use a Paramo darkcloth from Light and Land; it is the same black colour all over, apart from the elasticated collar which holds it to the camera; IMO, it is the best darkcloth I have used.

There is also the BlackJacket, which has sleeves and is black on the inside and silver on the outside; very useful for pretending there is a nuclear emergency, thus frightening off people that might get in your shot :lol:
You use the ground glass!? Wusses!!! If an external viewfinder is good enough for them Leica folk, I should be able to get away with 4x5 cardboard cut out... The equation for bellows length to focal distance is hardly rocket science and according to Joanne, you only need to stick 0.25 degree of tilt on for any shot you want!

Tim Parkin
Northern Photographer

p.s. I'm working on just waving the film at the scene but things aren't going well at the moment (which probably explains the pictures I got back from Eigg)
;-)
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)

Joanna Carter
Founder

Post by Joanna Carter » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

timparkin wrote:You use the ground glass!? Wusses!!! If an external viewfinder is good enough for them Leica folk, I should be able to get away with 4x5 cardboard cut out... The equation for bellows length to focal distance is hardly rocket science and according to Joanne, you only need to stick 0.25 degree of tilt on for any shot you want!
Now, if you're going to throw insultations at folks, at least get the the degree of insult right, it's 0.0006° of tilt :roll: :P 8)
timparkin wrote:p.s. I'm working on just waving the film at the scene but things aren't going well at the moment (which probably explains the pictures I got back from Eigg) ;-)
Don't shout too loud about that, otherwise I won't get to sell any of my film envelopes :wink:

George Hart
Forum Hero

Post by George Hart » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:57 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote:the outside (the black)
Joanna, may I ask what is the evidence for your contention regarding the orientation of the colours of the hallowed British darkcloth?

George

Patrick Dixon
Forum Hero

Post by Patrick Dixon » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:00 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Well, if they were yellow and black you might get problems with wasps.

Joanna Carter
Founder

Post by Joanna Carter » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:07 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

George Hart wrote:Joanna, may I ask what is the evidence for your contention regarding the orientation of the colours of the hallowed British darkcloth?
No evidence to offer apart from simple good taste and an innate sense of fashion :shock: :lol:

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

A large piece of dark green velvet is also nice when it gets colder. I used green velvet years ago with my old MPP camera, as the metal blades were not too effective with its poor (compared to Ebony) GG. Having said that, with a Maxwell screen in well lit conditions, unless you are using a wide-angle or macro lens, you dont need a dark cloth at all! :mrgreen: :lol:

The red cloths are red because, like pirates being called pirates, they aaaaarrrrrre..... :roll: ...but they might be red to warn passing members of the public that there is a person behind the dark cloth with an eccentric hobby: large format photography. :twisted:
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

vanman
Forum Hero

Post by vanman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The theory that I've heard more than once is that when all film/plates were orthochromatic dark cloths were red lined so that any small light leaks didn't ruin the plate or sheet of film. My wife made me a red lined dark cloth and the red material matches the bellows on my B&J. This prooves that it don't take a lot to keep an idiot happy!
Vanman

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:53 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Patrick Dixon wrote:Well, if they were yellow and black you might get problems with wasps.
One would simply resemble a hoverfly.... It might warn curious onlookers off! I could certainly see advantages in owning such a darkcloth! :mrgreen:
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

Steve Gledhill

Post by Steve Gledhill » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I used to have a two sided one that was very dark blue and white. But it weighed a ton(ne). Now mine's dark green - for camouflage.