How large does a darkroom need to be?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Dave Dawson
Forum Hero

How large does a darkroom need to be?

Post by Dave Dawson » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Gang, As most of you are probably aware I'm setting up a darkroom at work and whilst space isn't at a premium it seems pointless to make a large area light tight as the only area that needs to be dark is in the enlarging area.

I have a Durst 138S 5x7 enlarger and intend to do mostly RA-4 paper, so this could either be fed streight into a light tight slot in the wall to a roller transport processor or loaded into a drum and the rest done in the light.

Anyone working in a minimal dark area the size of an oversized wardrobe ? Obviuosly ventilation would be a consideration.

Your thoughts please.

Cheers Dave

IanG
Forum Hero

Re: How large does a darkroom need to be?

Post by IanG » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:59 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dave, for a couple of years I used a darkroom that was about 6ft x about 5ft6in and had a 5x4 and Durst M6o1 side by side. Both enlargers mounted on the bench, rather than base-boards. I was printing FB B&W usually 16"x12"s with no problem. I had no sink/running water.

For RA4 I have a Nova 3 slot tank so now I could possibly get away with slightly less space, I could use it for B&W as well if needs be,

The sapce I used was the only option, really it was too small, give yourself some room too be able to do larger prints, fit a sink etc, maybe a mount cutting area.

Ian

EddieB

Post by EddieB » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:43 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Dave

I've been going over the same problem - I'm just about to re-build the darkroom in my garage. I must have drawn sizes and layouts with two dozen options :roll:

I think I've finally settled on an area about 9'-6" by 6'-6" for the "total dark" area. I'm mainly into B+W wet printing, so I'm using the 9' wall for a length of kitchen worktop and sink as the wet bench - it'll take 3 or 4 20x16 dishes. The opposite 9' wall will be the dry bench with the De Vere 504 and 203 on benches. Dry work, like mounting etc, I can do in the other part of the garage / workshop area.

I've tried the minimal approach in the past - but now I feel I'd rather have a bit of room to spare. I remember fiddling about in tight spaces wasn't so pleasurable. The smallest area I had was around 5'x4' - but I found it a bit of a struggle at times. Ventilation was from a small extractor fan with a light trap covering - it was ok but I'm always wary of circulating air by blowing - that dust stuff!! :evil:

Personally, if you've got the space available, my advice would be to give yourself a bit of elbow room.

Best of luck with it - my building materials arrive next Saturday. With a bit a bit of luck I'll have my first prints out this month... :D

Best Regards
Eddie

all I'm asking is for a bit of sunlight in the right spot when I'm ready

Dave Dawson
Forum Hero

Post by Dave Dawson » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ian said......."fit a sink etc, maybe a mount cutting area."

The point I'm driving at guys/girls is that the processor, sink cutting area doesn't HAVE to be in the dark area...I would have thought a 6ftx6ft area would be ample for the enlarging area?

Cheers Dave

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:02 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'd have the sink inside the darkroom and keep an area for expansion, you never know you might want to start doing something other than colour and having to rebuild the darkroom again to accommodate is a lot worse than adding a bit more space at the outset.

Ian