Ebony SU

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Mike Hester

Ebony SU

Post by Mike Hester » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:51 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Everyone
I have an Ebony S at the moment and have been thinking about changing to the SU. My main reason for this is for the ease of focussing, but do you think with the current price of the SU that this added feature is justifiable?
Many thanks
Mike

Charles Twist
Founder

Re: Ebony SU

Post by Charles Twist » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Mike,
If you search for "asymmetric" or the incorrect "assymmetric" or any other variations of spelling, you'll find the subject has been fairly well covered on the forum. Basically, they speed things up in certain special circumstances and have annoying side-effects, like making you stick with a type of composition and being little use for architecture.
Hope that helps. Best regards,
Charles

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles Twist wrote:Hello Mike,
... and have annoying side-effects, like making you stick with a type of composition and being little use for architecture ...
I'd have to disagree with you on this (surprise!)... how did you come to have this opinion?

Tim
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

how did you come to have this opinion?
Because I knew you would disagree with it. :wink:
Disclaimer: I haven't a clue about asymmetric movements beyond what has been said here mainly and in private conversations secondarily. And the impression I got, was as I stated above. Prof Parkin will now correct me in the error of my ways. :)
Please enlighten us.
Best regards,
Charles

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles Twist wrote:
how did you come to have this opinion?
Because I knew you would disagree with it. :wink:
Disclaimer: I haven't a clue about asymmetric movements beyond what has been said here mainly and in private conversations secondarily. And the impression I got, was as I stated above. Prof Parkin will now correct me in the error of my ways. :)
Please enlighten us.
Best regards,
Charles
Asymmetric tilt is just another place for the line that stays in focus that happens to be better positioned for many purposes. e.g. you pick somewhere near the bottom of the ground glass to focus on and then tilt until what you want comes into focus.

As for architecture, rear tilt may not be any use if you want parallel verticals but assymetric rear swing is great! ;-)

And it's Tim Parkin PhD so more correctly Dr Parkin.. ;-)

Tim

Mike Hester

Post by Mike Hester » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Charles and Tim,
Many thanks for your replies, I'll do some searching as you suggested.
Mike

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Recently sold my Ebony 45SU but still have very fond memories of using it! I still swear by the asymmetric movements and found them to be very useful in speeding up the focus process.
However ... whether the current cost is justifiable is dependent upon whether you have 4 grand lying around? As for the difference with the 45S ... I would say that the increased cost is not worth the outlay. Reasoning is thus: trade-in or second-hand value for the S is likely to be low; used 45SUs have gone for as little as £2600 in recent months so the likely value of the S is going to be below the 2K mark and that's if you can find a buyer in the current climate. You are then looking at an excess of 2K to change to the SU.
Personally I think the price is now a little too steep; there would also appear to be a backlog of orders for the 45SU so there will be a wait.

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

PAUL O wrote:Recently sold my Ebony 45SU but still have very fond memories of using it! I still swear by the asymmetric movements and found them to be very useful in speeding up the focus process.
However ... whether the current cost is justifiable is dependent upon whether you have 4 grand lying around? As for the difference with the 45S ... I would say that the increased cost is not worth the outlay. Reasoning is thus: trade-in or second-hand value for the S is likely to be low; used 45SUs have gone for as little as £2600 in recent months so the likely value of the S is going to be below the 2K mark and that's if you can find a buyer in the current climate. You are then looking at an excess of 2K to change to the SU.
Personally I think the price is now a little too steep; there would also appear to be a backlog of orders for the 45SU so there will be a wait.
I have to agree... Very nice the movements and bellows draw are, but with the extra weight and the extra cost I would not change if I were you.

Tim

Mike Hester

Post by Mike Hester » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:56 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Paul for your analysis of the current market situation. You've put things nicely in perspective for me, so I think I should do the sensible thing at the moment and as Tim says stick with what I've got.
Mike

Paul Arthur
Forum Hero

Post by Paul Arthur » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

As an aside to the cost issue - second hand is still a good option if you felt you wanted to go down that route.

I know that JennyM on these forums has a 45SU in fantastic condition that she is looking to sell when she has time, you could always get in touch with her and see what you could offer her?

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I can recommend the 45SU where the asymmetric tilts do speed up some shorts, but the cost following the partial collapse of the pound last year, is indeed prohibitive. I too would suggest that if you really want one, buying it second hand.
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......