5x4 field camera availability in the UK

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
hmvmanuk

5x4 field camera availability in the UK

Post by hmvmanuk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I posted this request for advice on the LFP forum but was pleased to be told about this forum so it's another 'newbie' question, I'm afraid!

I live in York and am just thinking seriously about going into large format (5x4). Having sold some medium-format gear, I have a few hundred pounds to spend on a camera. I've been thinking about getting either a Shen Hao or Tachihara camera new as these seem to be priced very reasonably. I know the Shen Haos are available in the UK (although Robert White in Poole isn't exactly local) but I can't find anyone doing the Tachihara. I tried Teamwork Digital (who do the 10x8 model) but they don't carry the 4x5. Does anyone know where I might source a Tachihara in the UK or must I consider getting one from the U.S.A. or Japan if I decide to go for that camera? I have seen used ones on eBay occasionally but my inexperience in large format has led me to be wary of buying this way because I'm not confident in being able to spot potential faults and problems.

I wouldn't be against buying used equipment but I would prefer to do so through a reputable dealer rather than chance eBay. Can anyone recommend good dealers to approach, please?

Any advice will be gratefully received. I have avidly read other forums regarding camera choices for the beginner but most of the comments relate to the U.S.A so it's difficult to assess the situation here.

Thanks,

Gavin

DJ
Site Admin

Re: 5x4 field camera availability in the UK

Post by DJ » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:27 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have a Tachihara 45GF which I bought from BadgerGraphic in the USA. Whilst it's a nice camera ( and a beautiful thing to look at ) if I were buying again now, I would get the Shen Hao, especially the slightly newer chunkier one, which looks nice and sturdy (TZ45-IIB).

Firstly, the Shen Hao can accept an international standard rollfilm back, the Tachihara cannot.

Second, the "knobs" on the Tachihara which lock and release the standards have a tendency to fall apart, in that the knob falls out. One of mine is somewhere on Elgol beach in Skye. They may have fixed this now, I think they're threading them so they don't fall out, as I managed to find somewhere to get replacements through ( another US site ), and they seemed to be threaded, whereas my original ones were either just soldered or braized. Either way, it was inconvenient when they fell out as the standard could only be locked or unlocked by sticking a small screwdriver into the hole the knob fell out of.

The TZ45-IIB might be a little more expensive, and if it puts it out of range, I'd say, wait longer :wink:

Hope that helps.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:56 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Gavin,
Whatever you do, do NOT go to Nicholas Camera in London: they'll rip you off, if you give them half a chance. Good dealers include RWhite, Teamwork Photo, Ffordes, MrCad and a good many others which other members will no doubt tell us about.
Best regards and welcome,
Charles

vanman
Forum Hero

Post by vanman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles, OMG, Mr Cad??? This wonderful company sold me out of date half plate film at a prenium price (didn't notice until I'd used half the box), advertised 25 sheet boxes of film and when they arrived they were 10 sheet boxes (still a reasonable price for out of date film but not a bargain), if I had wanted to send them back I would be responsible for the postage. When I was starting out in L.F. they sold me a 105 mm Docktor Optic lens as covering 4x5. I used it for a few months with a roll film back to get used to the camera. It clipped the corners when I tried it on 4x5, too late to take it back then. I've still got this lens, anybody interested?
Stay away from South London.
Vanman.

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

There's a few of us on the forum that own the Chamonix 045N-1. It is an excellent camera to start with and includes features only found on more expensive cameras. You can sometimes find them S/H in the UK but it is quite easy to buy direct from China. Details can be found on their website http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/45.html

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

http://www.paulmitchellphotography.co.uk
http://www.arenaphotographers.com

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Shen Hao 5x4 cameras may or may not be available from Foto-Arte at the link below. I can't be more specific as there seems to be some doubt about getting in touch with them, but they also appear to be trading on eBay under the name of UK Topstock selling 5x4s including Shen Hao.

http://www.foto-arte.co.uk/Shen_Hao.html

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHEN-HAO-TZ45A-10 ... 3ef9a76770

hmvmanuk

Post by hmvmanuk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thank you all for your replies so far. DJ, I had been aware that the Tachihara has some build-quality issues and I'd certainly consider a TZ45-IIB which I understand is better for wide angle lenses. Paul, I am also considering the Chamonix as it looks from pictures to be a good design, well made and at a reasonable price but I'm a little concerned by the focus issue with the fresnel screen, although I'm sure there are ways around that problem. There is also, of course, the Shen Hao copy of the Chamonix but I gather it's not as well made. Incidentally, does anyone have an opinion on the Kwok camera that appears regularly on eBay at vastly varying 'Buy It Now' prices? My inclination has been to avoid it.

Thanks, Peter, for the link to foto-arte. I have also been in contact with Peter Walnes in Somerset but he doesn't have anything suitable in stock at present. Also, Somerset is a long way from me so I wouldn't be able to go and have a look at anything in advance.

Gavin

uniB

Post by uniB » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:46 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

As a fellow Chamonix owner I can whole heartedly recommend them – there's little I'd swap mine for (OK, maybe an Ebony 45SU if anyone fancies doing a swap?). I never really noticed a problem with focusing but have changed to a Maxwell screen now which is wonderful. Trouble is there's normally a waiting list for them, there is someone on Ebay who had some for sale at the moment though.

Another good option is a Wista, you get a fair amount of them on Ebay, I have a 45 VX, it's a nice camera, well usable and solid with good reach, you can get something similar for arounf £500.

I'm sure the Shen Hao range is perfectly usable but have never used one.

I've found Foto-Art to be not the most customer friendly company (person) to buy from, I wouldn't bother with them again, Robert White are great but maybe not the cheapest, I've only had good experiences with Ffordes and I'd thorougly recommend them (although they don't have much LF stuff). You could also try linhofstudio.com
http://www.peaklandscapes.com
Large format landscape workshops in the Peak District:
http://www.largeformatworkshops.co.uk

Nigels
Forum Hero

Post by Nigels » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:22 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Don't forget Walker Cameras who sponser this very site. I had the pleasure of meeting Mike Walker on the recent Snowdonia workshop. A thoroughly nice bloke who demonstrated his excellent 4x5 camera. I don't own one but a Titan would be high on my shopping list were I to replace my Ebony.
Regs, Nigels.
[User of Ebony 45SU + 58, 80, 150 & 270 mm Lenses, and all the essential bits]
"He wears the sweeping landscape in the crystal of his eye."

David Evans
Forum Hero

Post by David Evans » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Nigels wrote:Don't forget Walker Cameras who sponser this very site. I had the pleasure of meeting Mike Walker on the recent Snowdonia workshop. A thoroughly nice bloke who demonstrated his excellent 4x5 camera. I don't own one but a Titan would be high on my shopping list were I to replace my Ebony.
I'd second Mike Walker at Walker Cameras and his Titans ... and I have just got one (an XL wide)!
David

Sean Lewis
Forum Hero
Workshop Images: http://500px.com/Sean_Lewis

Post by Sean Lewis » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I also vouch for the Walker. If I ever get another camera it will be the Titan, totally rigid even at full extension.

Sean

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:23 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Is Walker becoming the "new" Ebony :shock:

I would also suggest looking at Mike's cameras - I'm VERY pleased with the Titan 5x7 XL.

David Evans
Forum Hero

Post by David Evans » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:57 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

PAUL O wrote:Is Walker becoming the "new" Ebony :shock:

I would also suggest looking at Mike's cameras - I'm VERY pleased with the Titan 5x7 XL.
Have you seen this Paul? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3t4U78DakI
David

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:11 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi David. Yes a very interesting clip that goes some way in showing how versatile his cameras are in use. I was surprised at the material used in the cameras - ceratinly not what I expected when buying a "plastic" camera - as the finish is anything but "plastic".
The other plus for me in using the 5x7 XL Wide is that the base is the same size as the 10x8 camera which has meant that the 5x7 can offer slightly longer bellows so that the camera is a tad more versatile in that it can handle longer lenses.
Mike's cameras are also surprisingly lightweight yet are absolutely rigid when extended; never come across a camera that is so rigid when fully extended - there is absolutely no movement and flex is non-existant.

I was also impressed with the fact that the camera is completely impervious to water/moisture/condensation. I noticed with my Ebony cameras that they often "seized up" in extremes of temperature/moisture - happened to me in Iceland and yes ... I'd forgotten to pack my screwdriver with me!

I've used the Walker 5x7 in light drizzle with total confidence - I simply wipe it down when I get home and put it away!

patawauke

Post by patawauke » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:43 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Adaflex (small French online store) do the Tachi new and s/h. I have bought from them and they have been reliable for me. I suggest you check out their website.