Arca style QR plate advice please

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
David Evans
Forum Hero

Arca style QR plate advice please

Post by David Evans » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Does anyone know if there is an Arca style QR plate that comes with a 3/8" screw as standard please?
I was going to get a Wimberley plate, but that requires a bush to convert screw thread, and I want to avoid this.
Needs to have a flat profile for attaching to 4x5 camera body.
Thanks.
David

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Re: Arca style QR plate advice please

Post by Joanna Carter » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

David Evans wrote:Does anyone know if there is an Arca style QR plate that comes with a 3/8" screw as standard please?
I was going to get a Wimberley plate, but that requires a bush to convert screw thread, and I want to avoid this.
Needs to have a flat profile for attaching to 4x5 camera body.
Kirk Enterprises do an adapter that fits on something like a Manfrotto 410 (or similar RC4 plated head) http://www.kirkphoto.com/SQRC-3271_Manf ... Clamp.html. they also do a range of plates, including this one with 3/8 thread
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

George Hart
Forum Hero

Post by George Hart » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:18 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've got several QR plates from RRS, http://reallyrightstuff.com/home.html, and they are very good but pricey. Huge range.

Emmanuel Bigler
Forum Hero

Post by Emmanuel Bigler » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I am not sure if original Arca Swiss plates are eligible in this "Arca Style" discussion :mrgreen: , however, there is one Arca Swiss plate, 80 mm long, fitted with a 3/8"-16 screw.

David Evans
Forum Hero

Thanks for replies and advice

Post by David Evans » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I've gone for a Kirk plate, as I have had Kirk products in the past and found them good, and also they have the plate in stock at Warehouse Express.
I would add that I also like RRS items and have a RRS clamp and ball head. However I just don't feel like being done for a £13.00 'administration charge' by Parcelforce, on top of the VAT, import duty, and carriage!
I've also had a Swiss Arca plate in the past, and believe it or not it slipped right through my RRS clamp! Fortunately I managed to catch the camera attached to the plate! It appears that it must have been minutely narrower than the RRS, Kirk and Wimberley plates that fitted perfectly, though any difference wasn't visible to my eye!
David