After a new bag

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
richard littlewood

After a new bag

Post by richard littlewood » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:15 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've been making do with a good converted rucksack to carry gear around for years, but as ever the zips are starting to play up. I carry a folding 5x4, 4 compact lenses on small boards, usually around 6dds, 120 back, meter, cloth, lupe and a few other bits and bats - sounds like a common enough list of gear. Any recomendations for a proper backpack? I'd rather travel a bit light, but need good weather proofing.
Before I take too much time hunting down a suitable bag I'd welcome any suggestions.
Cheers
Richard

timparkin
Forum Hero

Re: After a new bag

Post by timparkin » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:00 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Google 'photobackpacker' for some lightweight weight panel loaders..
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)

Dave Tolcher

Post by Dave Tolcher » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:17 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Granitegear look quite good - some have a zip down the front which makes access easier than just a top loader. Check which ones have zips !! I have only found one importer in the UK at:

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... sacks.html

I have one for general use and smaller amount of gear and it is excellent.

joolsb
Forum Hero

Post by joolsb » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:35 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I use a Mammut Travel bag which is light, comfortable, panel-loading and has enough space for a reasonable LF set-up.

http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/2 ... ravel.html

gary mulder

Post by gary mulder » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:43 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

If you are doing landscapes, your backpack will end up on the ground, at least mine does to get to my gear. With a normal panel loading back after taking a shot, the wet and muddy side goes against your back.....
That's the reason i replaced my regular one with a lowe pro flipside 400aw

Dave Tolcher

Post by Dave Tolcher » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:22 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thats what the raincover is for :-)

David Evans
Forum Hero

Post by David Evans » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Having tried various bags over the years, I have settled to using a regular (non photographic specific) backpack as the best compromise between comfort,lightness and convenience.
The make I use is Osprey, and the Atmos 35 has a panel opening and would just fit the gear you mention I think, but without much space for much else (water and lightweight jacket maybe).
AND a recent find, that is making life much, much, easier with this option, is the website http://www.bags4everything.co.uk/. This company is Yorkshire based, and will make bags to your precise specifications, and I have had some made, and use them inside the backpack. This works very well for me!If you contact this company speak to Mark. Time from ordering to delivery has been just over two weeks.
I found this company when I couldn't find a Photobackpacker case to fit a Walter Titan XL wide. I'd also got really fed up with paying Parcelforce £13.50 'administration fees' on imports!
I have another Osprey bag (which isn't panel loading), with a 70 litre capacity, and this carries loads. The Osprey Atmos bag is 35 litres.
In the Atmos I carry a Walker Titan XL wide, three lenses, meter, tripod head (in the backpack), loupe, dark cloth (a black T shirt), Quickload and film, filters, rain cover, and odds and ends of cable releases, map, compass, notebook, pen, glasses and gloves. The bag fully loaded tops the scales at between 19lbs and 21 lbs, which I reckon is pretty light for a 4x5 system! Much above this weight and the Atmos starts loosing it's comfort at the shoulders, so then I move up to the bigger bag.
I either carry the tripod in my hand, or strap it to the outside when using the Atmos backpack.
Hope that helps!
David

joolsb
Forum Hero

Post by joolsb » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:15 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

With a normal panel loading back after taking a shot, the wet and muddy side goes against your back.....
You're wearing a waterproof coat, aren't you? What's the problem?

(Actually, it's the front of the shoulder straps that take the worst of any muck.)

richard littlewood

Post by richard littlewood » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:11 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks all. I'm well used to being out and about and thats why I originally went the converted rucksack route - I find a lot of proper gear bags have too many pockets and other extras that hold too many 'you never know when you might need it' type objects.
I'm going to once more check out converting a rucksack.
Cheers
Richard

jennym
Forum Hero

Post by jennym » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:31 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I went on a bag hunt last year, looking for a comfortable bag that would hold a similar sized kit and also lunch and waterproofs. In the end I couldn't find a decidated photography bag that I liked, and the options for me were between :
a) the photobackpacker system which is light and flexible, but a bit of a nuisance at times having to open each compartment. Not a problem when there is plenty of time, but added a small additional pressure when the light was changing fast. But worth investigating perhaps.
b) a lowepro proroller inner in a 'travel' rucksack. After lots of searching and trying on, I bought a Macpac backpack and the smallest lowepro proroller inner which you can buy separately (worth shopping around). I prefer this setup as everything is accessible when I open the bag but the tripod has to go on one side which is not ideal. But I still sometimes use the photobackpacker system when carrying a minimal kit.

To keep the bag dry/sand/mud free I use a plastic car boot liner from a gardening store. Weighs almost nothing.

Good luck with the search.

Jenny

richard littlewood

Post by richard littlewood » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Jenny, thanks for that. There seems to be as much choice in rucksacks as camera bags, and I'm find bag hunting a trifle dull - no where near a new lens or camera for interest, or even a light meter come to that - or even new wellies. Just got a decent new pair, and they are exciting.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

David Evans wrote:Having tried various bags over the years, I have settled to using a regular (non photographic specific) backpack as the best compromise between comfort,lightness and convenience.
The make I use is Osprey, and the Atmos 35 has a panel opening and would just fit the gear you mention I think, but without much space for much else (water and lightweight jacket maybe).
AND a recent find, that is making life much, much, easier with this option, is the website http://www.bags4everything.co.uk/. This company is Yorkshire based, and will make bags to your precise specifications, and I have had some made, and use them inside the backpack. This works very well for me!If you contact this company speak to Mark. Time from ordering to delivery has been just over two weeks.
I found this company when I couldn't find a Photobackpacker case to fit a Walter Titan XL wide. I'd also got really fed up with paying Parcelforce £13.50 'administration fees' on imports!
I have another Osprey bag (which isn't panel loading), with a 70 litre capacity, and this carries loads. The Osprey Atmos bag is 35 litres.
In the Atmos I carry a Walker Titan XL wide, three lenses, meter, tripod head (in the backpack), loupe, dark cloth (a black T shirt), Quickload and film, filters, rain cover, and odds and ends of cable releases, map, compass, notebook, pen, glasses and gloves. The bag fully loaded tops the scales at between 19lbs and 21 lbs, which I reckon is pretty light for a 4x5 system! Much above this weight and the Atmos starts loosing it's comfort at the shoulders, so then I move up to the bigger bag.
I either carry the tripod in my hand, or strap it to the outside when using the Atmos backpack.
Hope that helps!
Osprey are no good when you're crawling in hot and sandy places! :lol: Don't take you LF camera to Afghanistan! :shock:
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......