British Large Format Landscape Photographers

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
timparkin
Forum Hero

Re: British Large Format Landscape Photographers

Post by timparkin » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:33 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

DJ wrote:
DJ wrote:Tom Mackie based in Norfolk used a Wista 5x4 field, he's in the "World's Best Landscape Photographers" book along with most of the "household names" in that genre, very good photographer.
I don't know if it's relevant, but the title of the thread says "British Photographers", does this mean British by origin or living and working in Britain? I ask as it occurs to me that Tom Mackie although living in Norfolk, is actually an American....

I think you could add me to the list as well, whilst I haven't been prolific this year due to other projects, my commitment to LF hasn't wavered, I'll easily hit your target next year.

You still haven't let on about the purpose of this list Tim, is it a secret? :wink:

I don't want to be silly about it, if someone lives in the UK and takes pictures here then that will do for me .. Sami Nabeel is naturalised british I think?

so Tom Mackie would be in (despite my loathing of his photoshop montage of a canadian mounty rowing a canoe in buttermere).

I did try to post a reason why last night but must have not pressed submit (doh!). The main reason is that I was asked by Dav Thomas to help with a beginning large format workshop next February in the lakes (silly video advert here http://bit.ly/peakdistrict) and I wanted to put a list of currently practising large format landscape photographers on the website to demonstrate the quality and quantity of people working in this 'archaic' format. The list is not for me to spam with invites though (it's really aimed at people who have never used and LF camera or who have only just bought one) and it's not for me to pinch users from lf-photo (i.e. I have no intention of running a photography forum). The second reason is that Fuji said they sell an awful lot of quickload Velvia and Provia, far too much for the number of photographers I have heard of and so I was intrigued to find out who else is buying film.. I'll try and add urls too...

Tim
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:43 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

timparkin wrote:The second reason is that Fuji said they sell an awful lot of quickload Velvia and Provia, far too much for the number of photographers I have heard of and so I was intrigued to find out who else is buying film.. I'll try and add urls too...
There must be many times the number of people on this list using LF. If these bunch were the only ones shooting LF then places like robert white, teamwork and ffordes wouldn't be able to justify stocking and selling any LF equipment or film at all! There must also still be a fair few people out there doing commercial studio work with LF or LF-derived cameras, even if its with digital backs rather than film. Its just that we're unlikely to be able to name any of them.

That said, in all the time over the last few years I've spent out taking photos in the peak, northumberland, scotland etc I've never happened upon a single person using LF. In fact the only time I've come across an LF camera in anger was someone shooting architecture with an ebony in sheffield town centre in the middle of the day a year or so back.

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:46 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

dave_whatever wrote: There must be many times the number of people on this list using LF. If these bunch were the only ones shooting LF then places like robert white, teamwork and ffordes wouldn't be able to justify stocking and selling any LF equipment or film at all! There must also still be a fair few people out there doing commercial studio work with LF or LF-derived cameras, even if its with digital backs rather than film. Its just that we're unlikely to be able to name any of them.
Absolutely! I'm only really interested in the landscape photographer lot (I'm presuming that velvia mostly sells to landscape togs and possibly flower arrangers).

I'm going to have a scan down the choosefilm website at some point too!

Tim

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:48 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Lynne Evans wrote:Four more names for you - Harry Cory Wright, Jem Southam, Andy Latham, Craig Joiner.

Then of course there's John Blakemore, and maybe Michael Collins (mainly urban and industrial landscapes)?
Nice one Lynne - how did I forget Jem Southam... also Simon Norfolk

I remembered mr Blakemore last night..

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:49 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

timparkin wrote:I'm presuming that velvia mostly sells to landscape togs and possibly flower arrangers
Flower photography is best served with Astia... hint, hint - Fuji are you listening :roll:
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:01 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote:
timparkin wrote:I'm presuming that velvia mostly sells to landscape togs and possibly flower arrangers
Flower photography is best served with Astia... hint, hint - Fuji are you listening :roll:
Ah! Astia! I am fairly resigned to the fact of it's discontinuance and will be making an emergency last stockup order from the states... :-(

Gordon M

Post by Gordon M » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Tim - feel free to add me to your list. I'm certainly getting through more than 20 sheets a year, mostly in N+W Yorkshire. I have not scanned any pics so you won't find me on the web. Cheers, Gordon (Mitchell)

Nigels
Forum Hero

Post by Nigels » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

timparkin wrote:
Nigels wrote:Me, Me, Me. Over 80 sheets this year (and counting). And all of it Fuji flavoured!
Hi Nigel! You're on! I keep looking for you flickr stream but can't find it?
I'm here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/24301567@N08/sets/
Regs, Nigels.
[User of Ebony 45SU + 58, 80, 150 & 270 mm Lenses, and all the essential bits]
"He wears the sweeping landscape in the crystal of his eye."

more photography

Post by more photography » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Tim

What about Paul Arthur, Dav Thomas, Stve Street, me and Pete Bryan

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

more photography wrote:Hi Tim

What about Paul Arthur, Dav Thomas, Stve Street, me and Pete Bryan

Paul Arthur and Dav Thomas are in there... others will be added! Thanks!

Tom Green

Post by Tom Green » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:53 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dont forget me Tom Green, (Remember that name in the future) i AM building up my files though not put anything out yet but working on it :mrgreen: :lol:
:Inspiration and Vision make Great Photographs

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tom Green wrote:Dont forget me Tom Green, (Remember that name in the future) i AM building up my files though not put anything out yet but working on it :mrgreen: :lol:
I've remembered... erm.. what was your name again ?

;-)

Tim

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Even though he shoots few landscapes these days John Blakemore should be on the list, along with Thomas Joshua Cooper and Jem Southam, also Andrew Goldsworthy - he was shooting 10x8's of his installations in the landscape.

Ian

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Oh, and Simon Norfolk.

Ian

TimH

Post by TimH » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Me too please - only been at LF for a year but am up to 53 sheets - thks Tim Hodgson ............
I've nothing on Flickr but i did bring a handful of prints to the Wales jamboree - I'm sure someone remembers me :(
Digi-snapper now (finally) turned LF shooter hmm been doing this long enuff - Now LF photog !