British Large Format Landscape Photographers

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
scovell001

Re: British Large Format Landscape Photographers

Post by scovell001 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

However (and this is a big however) we know another photographer who ditched his 6x17 and started stitching digitally and after a year or so came back to film. So calling this 'the end of film' is the same as saying 'this is the end of digital' when Colin Prior ditched his DSLR for his 6x17..
Colin had a Canon Eos 1v with a PB-E2 motor drive, he sold it and bought a 1ds mkii body in its place. He retained his 24-70 70-200 & 100-400 IS L lenses along with 24, 45 & 90 t&s lenses. He also retained & continued to use his GX617, along with a Hasselblad Xpan II. The Ebony 45SU was sold sometime before the Eos 1v. Stitched panorama's (most notably Mount Denali & The Old Man of Storr) were tested with the 1DS mkii along side the Xpan. In both cases the stitched panorama's had alignment faults caused by the software.

The Xpan was sold in June this year & was replaced with a Linhof 617s. Most recently Colin has tested, a Hasselblad H3D 39mkii, a Leica S2, Canon 1ds mkiii & Nikon D3x with Zeiss lenses. He's also tested an Alpa SWA with Phase One p65 back.

He has continued to shoot film throughout this period, and at present, plans to continue.

EddieB

Post by EddieB » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

timparkin wrote:
EddieB wrote:

No problem eddie... would be good to see some pictures when you get a chance though!

Tim

p.s. Eddie B......?

p.p.s. Where are you from?
Hi Tim

Ha! So much for this modern technology stuff :shock: ! Despite me concentrating really hard :roll: , it failed to transmit ny secret identity - Eddie Butt - and the location of my Fortress of Darkitude - Wishaw, Scotland.

Not sure how I could share images without a scanner - short of showing some of the digital files (Nikon D200) I sometimes shoot alongside the Ebony - which seems like cheating somehow. Looks like I'm going to have to invest in a scanner... Rumours of an update to the Epson V750, anyone :? ??

Best regards
Eddie

all I'm asking is for a bit of sunlight in the right spot when I'm ready

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:29 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

EddieB wrote:Not sure how I could share images without a scanner - short of showing some of the digital files (Nikon D200) I sometimes shoot alongside the Ebony - which seems like cheating somehow. Looks like I'm going to have to invest in a scanner... Rumours of an update to the Epson V750, anyone :? ??
If you have already made prints, you could always setup something like a copy stand and use your D200 to take pictures of the prints. There will be plenty of detail for a web image, after all, they only need to be around 800 pixels x 640 pixels at a maximum.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

EddieB

Post by EddieB » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Joanna

OK - I've just had a "Now why didn't I think of that" moment... :oops:

I'll give that a go sometime during this week.

Thanks yet again :wink:

Best Regards
Eddie

all I'm asking is for a bit of sunlight in the right spot when I'm ready

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:51 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote:
EddieB wrote:Not sure how I could share images without a scanner - short of showing some of the digital files (Nikon D200) I sometimes shoot alongside the Ebony - which seems like cheating somehow. Looks like I'm going to have to invest in a scanner... Rumours of an update to the Epson V750, anyone :? ??
If you have already made prints, you could always setup something like a copy stand and use your D200 to take pictures of the prints. There will be plenty of detail for a web image, after all, they only need to be around 800 pixels x 640 pixels at a maximum.
Or set the D200 up above a lightbox and take shots of the transparencies. I've done this for quick-n-dirth web use with medium format slides, it works OK, best to shoot tethered so you can mess around with the settings and same them for future use. You'll proably need to turn the contrast right down, set white balance off the lightbox itself, and if its a flourescent tube lightsource make sure you use a shutter speed that's an integer multiple of 50Hz.