Jumping on the Jobo E6 bandwagon

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
timparkin
Forum Hero

Re: Jumping on the Jobo E6 bandwagon

Post by timparkin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:17 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Dave!

In case you want to push, I have a spreadsheet for times for the different runs including pulling and pushing (which has been confirmed by Dav Thomas too)

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... utput=html
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Warning: key another question:

I'm looking at doing an odd roll of 120 and am struggling to come to terms with how to get the film in a reasonable volume of stabiliser whilst doing it off-reel and out of the tank (as per the instructions). I recently started a thread on FADU with the same question and was surprised to see there appeared to be no reel solution (pun :lol: ) other than just ignoring all the cautions and keeping the film on the reel.:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.u ... php?t=2198

So just wanting to sound people out here who might have done 120 themselves.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

You could always try putting the stabiliser in a small tray and, holding one end of the film in each hand, pass the film through the liquid in the tray several times slowly. It really doesn't need that much time so this should do the trick
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Yeah that's probably my only real option unless anyone else has any bright ideas.

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:33 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Yet another query; I ran another 4 sheets through last night, and upon inspection there's some unevenness to them. One sheet has got distinct bluey/cyan bands along each long side, extending about 8mm into the image but fading off gradually. Another sheet shows something similar although by the nature of the shot its hard to tell, but at one corner you can see the blue band forming an L shape with a similar but wider band along the short end. There's also a couple of places in clear sky sections with barely visible ripples, but without any untoward colour.

I've not had this problem before, and i'm doing everything the same way as usual: 4 sheets in a 2509n reel, middle slots unused, with the slosher flaps fitted, 250ml of freshly mixed chems, machine set to the faster rotation speed. I can't think of anything there that should be causing me any unevenness. Anyone got any ideas?

gary mulder

Post by gary mulder » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

did your real / tank have contact with stabiliser in the resent past ?

DJ
Site Admin

Post by DJ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:15 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have seen those marks in film I've had processed in small labs before, and on my first sheets of B&W through my jobo. That first batch I ran the motor at speed 1, and there were a few issues with the magnet falling off.

Second batch, magnet glued in place, agitation on speed 2, no lines visible, lovely clean even negs. Hope that helps.

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've had no stabiliser anywhere near the reel or tanks, i'm pretty anal about that. Also speed was set to 2. Ironically the time my magnet fell off the machine half way through the colour dev stage I didn't have any problems..... :roll:

The more I look at the shots now the more I'm convincing myself that the colour marks I can't actually see anymore. When I posted earlier the sheets had been drying overnight for about 14 or 15 hours, but maybe they weren't yet totally dry and the discolouration round the edges of shot was some kind of artefect of this? It does make you wonder how long it takes from them to get bone dry, 24hrs plus maybe?

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:31 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Dave, the drying time would be related to temp and relative humidity of the space you were drying them in I guess, also the slides may appear touch dry while the emulsoin can still be slightly saturated. I have had sheets that have had the marks you describe until they are fully dry.

As to the 120, you could take them off the reel, allow them to "curl" completely and put the stabiliser in a small round tuperware type container roughly the size of a drum. That's what I do, works fine and makes a good wash drum too!

Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!