Anyone purchased film from the US?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Thingy
Forum Hero

Re: Anyone purchased film from the US?

Post by Thingy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Peter B wrote:
PAUL O wrote:I managed to speak to Harman today regarding the availability of 5x7 Delta 100 as listed on their website. Apparently it is a "special" order item and not normally held in stock or sold in the UK; however they do have 13 boxes (of 100 sheets) in stock :)

Now the bad news ... the price for a box of 100 sheets from B&H is £88.67 ..... Harman want (wait for it) ..... £175.55 AAARRRGGHHHHHHH
You have to wonder how these things get decided, but seems like we've been deemed to be metric and the US is imperial. What's below the belt is that they are pricing this as special order for you as if it was part of the general once a year run, yet somehow it's a standard size for elsewhere. I don't suppose they mentioned the expiry date by any chance? I think I'd follow Barry's advice and speak to Silverprint and see if they can get a better price. :?
This seems rather anomalous to me. Certainly EU harmonising law (re metrication in goods sold by EU member countries, etc) cannot be at fault as trading in imperial measures for film where metric is inappropriate would not be prohibited under Community law. I think this is something that should be raised with Trading Standards Institute on the grounds that making UK customers pay disproportionately for a product manufacturered in the UK by a UK registered company, wherein they must pay double the price the same product is sold for in the USA, could be construed as an unfair trading practice. Would you like me to contact them for their advice?
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:47 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thingy wrote:I think this is something that should be raised with Trading Standards Institute on the grounds that making UK customers pay disproportionately for a product manufacturered in the UK by a UK registered company, wherein they must pay double the price the same product is sold for in the USA, could be construed as an unfair trading practice. Would you like me to contact them for their advice?
Actually, the price that Paul was quoted was the recommended retail price, but there is nothing to stop anyone selling a product for as near to their cost price as they like. Trading Standards don't have any jurisdiction over what an American company does to its profit margins; B&H might even be selling it below cost because it is approaching its expiry date.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I think the price looks high because it is a 100 sheet box, whereas a box of 25 sheets of 5x7 FP4+ at Silverprint is £43.02, so near enough 1/4 of what Paul was quoted. Good job we don't have to buy all our film in 100 sheet boxes though. :shock:

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:27 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Don't forget that large distributors get additional discounts, that's normal in most industries and they can pass these on in their retail prices. I negotiated substantial discounts for photo related machinery about 8 years ago, and I've done the same with pumps etc (a type used in large processors) sometimes those discounts reach an additional 40% perhaps not as much with film though.

Also with exchange rate fluctuations they may have bought when the Dollar was at a peak against the Pound, but in general Ilford have to compete with Kodaks prices in the US as well so it's an ever changing balance.

Ian

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I managed to get a much improved deal on this film - thanks Jo 8)