Focus On Imaging Exhibition, NEC 7-10 March

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Rod

Focus On Imaging Exhibition, NEC 7-10 March

Post by Rod » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:27 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi,

Third posting of the evening…..must be lonely?

I am hoping to go to the “Focus On Imaging” Exhibition at the NEC, Birmingham, 7-10 March, 2010 http://www.focus-on-imaging.co.uk/. Just wondering if anyone has previous experience of this exhibition, or is planning to go this year? Perhaps it would be an opportunity for a small gathering (a beer?) if there is sufficient interest?

Amongst other things I shall be looking for a new monitor. Currently, I’m a dinosaur CRT owner who generally can’t cope with most LCD monitors – I’m hypersensitive to the shifts in contrast/brightness/saturation that occur when I move my viewing position by 10mm in any direction! I know many manufacturers now quote viewing angles of 170-180 deg., but these certainly don’t apply to critical viewing when we’re trying to match monitor settings and printer output.

There are no doubt many excellent (i.e. very expensive) monitors on the market, Eizo, etc., but I really don’t want to take out another mortgage for one! For image quality together with viewing angle stability the only choice seems to be an IPS-type LCD screen, rather than the more common TN or VA types, but most of these are very expensive, i.e. >£1,000.

Does anyone have any experiences of different monitor makes/types: it would be interesting to hear what everyone else is using – not really a LF topic, I know, but all of us film/digital hybrid photographers use monitors.

Kind regards,

Rod.

Lynne Evans
Forum Hero

Re: Focus On Imaging Exhibition, NEC 7-10 March

Post by Lynne Evans » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Rod
Focus is a good show but there's lots of it! I've been several times and learned early on to make a list of things you specifically want to check out / stands you want to look at - it's easy to get side-tracked. Also it pays to have specific questions in mind when approaching stands otherwise you just get the standard sales chat.

I've been looking for a monitor to attach to my MacBook Pro as I don't trust the colours that my laptop screen is giving me. I've checked out the Colour Confidence website http://shop.colourconfidence.com/ which has some useful info on monitors and has them rated for colour accuracy etc. They are also having an Open Day on 2nd February which may well be worth dropping in on.

I shall watch this thread with interest.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:06 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Rod wrote:I am hoping to go to the “Focus On Imaging” Exhibition at the NEC, Birmingham, 7-10 March, 2010 http://www.focus-on-imaging.co.uk/. Just wondering if anyone has previous experience of this exhibition, or is planning to go this year?
Focus has usually been a very large exhibition but, in my opinion, unless you are interested in digital, preferably wedding, photography, there is very little for the dedicated LF or even film photographer.
Rod wrote:Perhaps it would be an opportunity for a small gathering (a beer?) if there is sufficient interest?
That would depend on the day folks go. I tend to go on the second "public day". As for a beer, I have to drive back home but would welcome a cup of tea. A couple of words of advice - take very comfortable walking shoes and don't pick up any blurb from stands until you have done one circuit of the stands.
Rod wrote:Amongst other things I shall be looking for a new monitor.
I only found the usual people like Colour Confidence there, with their expensive monitors; not really an opportunity for comparison.
Rod wrote:Does anyone have any experiences of different monitor makes/types: it would be interesting to hear what everyone else is using – not really a LF topic, I know, but all of us film/digital hybrid photographers use monitors.
Would you please start a new topic on this subject? It really is relevant to LF as many of us use a hybrid workflow; we are not "exclusive" in this group 8)
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Lynne Evans
Forum Hero

Post by Lynne Evans » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:01 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Jo

I don't really agree that there is nothing for LF or film photographers. I found it very useful for getting a feel for things like backpacks, tripods and heads, printing papers etc - stuff that you might want to try before buying. I've also picked up a good deal on a 70-200 Canon lens - useful for film or digital! And there have been some excellent prints on show.

Not going this year though - need to save up for that monitor!

If you've never been I'd say it's worth going to see for yourself. If you pre-register as a professional it 'only' costs for the car park.

vanman
Forum Hero

Post by vanman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:33 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

If you're going at the weekend get there early, the traffic can be hell. Anything up to an hours queueing time to get to a car park. Then a long queue for the bus. Expect to be ripped off at the car parks, it's usually about £8-00.
In the recent past I've bought coating rods, 4x5 film and SRB are usually there for step up rings, filters and that sort of thing. I saw LF cameras and lenses for sale and on display last year.
I believe that AP have a stand there this year, it could be worth asking when they're going to carry a bit for us L.F. users. A lens test on TTH's Cook lenses would be nice, I understand that they are manufacturing in the near future.
Just for a laugh, if you get bored, you can always ask at the Harman stand why they can't make POP paper with all the modern technology available to them when they had no trouble making it 80 years ago. Don't expect a sensible answer and don't expect to buy any film from their stand, they don't take any to sell. Saying that other film manufacturers have equally sad record.
I'll be going on a weekday as I did last year. I didn't get there 'till about 1-00p.m. and there were no jams and there was room to get around in comfort.
Have fun, it's worth a visit,
Vanman.

Nigels
Forum Hero

Post by Nigels » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I go every year (only missed a couple since it started there). Usually on a weekday to avoid the crowds. It can be a good place to pick up a bargain as some stands will sell at non-vat prices. Over the years I have bought new a lens, tripod, pentax spot meter, 410 head, lupe and various other bits. Keep an eye out for the speakers doing spots on stands. I have got to see talks by Andy Rouse, Colin Prior, Joe Cornish, David Ward and others. There are also plenty of prints hanging up all around the hall. I reckon its a good day out and, after all, its just the once a year. I'm going on the Monday this year.
Regs, Nigels.
[User of Ebony 45SU + 58, 80, 150 & 270 mm Lenses, and all the essential bits]
"He wears the sweeping landscape in the crystal of his eye."