High Quality LCD Monitors Without a Mortgage?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Rod

High Quality LCD Monitors Without a Mortgage?

Post by Rod » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi,

I posted a double-thread topic yesterday about the “Focus On Imaging” Exhibition at the NEC in March and the problem of finding a high quality LCD monitor to replace my ageing CRT monitor. Joanna Carter has since asked me to start a new topic regarding monitors, so here goes with a repeat of the relevant points from my last posting....

.....I shall be looking for a new monitor at the exhibition. Currently, I’m a dinosaur CRT owner who generally can’t cope with most LCD monitors – I’m hypersensitive to the shifts in contrast/brightness/saturation that occur when I move my viewing position by 10mm in any direction! I know many manufacturers now quote viewing angles of 170-180 deg., but these certainly don’t apply to critical viewing when we’re trying to match monitor settings and printer output.

There are no doubt many excellent (i.e. very expensive) monitors on the market, Eizo, etc., but I really don’t want to take out another mortgage for one! For image quality together with viewing angle stability the only choice seems to be an IPS-type LCD screen, rather than the more common TN or VA types, but most of these are very expensive, i.e. >£1,000.

Does anyone have any experiences of different monitor makes/types? It would be interesting to hear what everyone else is using........
Lynne replied:
I've been looking for a monitor to attach to my MacBook Pro as I don't trust the colours that my laptop screen is giving me. I've checked out the Colour Confidence website http://shop.colourconfidence.com/ which has some useful info on monitors and has them rated for colour accuracy etc. They are also having an Open Day on 2nd February which may well be worth dropping in on…
Thanks Lynne. I first found the Colour Confidence website when I was checking out the price of an Eizo monitor that I'd read a really good review about. It turned out that it was for their >£10,000 model, hence my references to mortgages!!! I didn't realise they had open days though, so this could be a good place for comparisons.

Kind regards,

Rod.

scovell001

Re: High Quality LCD Monitors Without a Mortgage?

Post by scovell001 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:55 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Rod,

This link to prad.de might help you cut the wheat from the chaff. (choose English from the top right if it hasn't done so already)

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html (scroll down the page there's loads of reviews)

I have an Eizo CG241W, & find the way in which it reproduces a neutral grey to be better than any other monitor I've seen. This helps a great deal with softproofing & print matching.

I have an account with Colourconfidence & may be able to get a deal for you if there is anything on there which catches your eye.