Have a photo exhibit day out!

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
DJ
Site Admin

Have a photo exhibit day out!

Post by DJ » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I was in London yesterday, treating myself to an indulgence day out of wandering around photo exhibits.

I caught the Landscape Photographer of the Year exhibit as it ends on Sunday, some nice prints and as in last year's, a very different experience from the book. I was sad to note that despite there being quite a few large format entries in previous years, it has dwindled and this year there was but a single large format entry which made it through, and it wasn't displayed at the exhibition.

My other main port of call was the National Portrait Gallery to catch the Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize exhibit. I also caught this last year, and once again, I think I enjoyed it more than the Landscape one. There were some fantastic images there, and the standard of printing was exceptionally high. The winning entry and quite a few others are shot on large format, which is usually very well represented in this competition. I encourage anyone, even if you're not really into portraits, to go visit this exhibit, it's on till 14th Feb, entry to the exhibit is free and well worth a look IMHO.

There was also another exhibit of 1960's photos on at the NPG, though this is a paid entrance exhibit, I did not see this one. Downstairs in the bookshop gallery next to the cafe at NPG are a handful of Jane Bown prints from her recently released book "Exposures" which is now a firm favourite on my bookshelf.

I also had a wander to The Photographer's Gallery off Oxford Street, and spent an enjoyable hour in there looking at the exhibits and browsing their extensive bookshop of obscure titles.

So go on, treat yourself to a day out of photo wanderings, I came away from London with sore feet and a smile on my face. Pick up a copy of British Journal of Photography and check out the exhibits on in London and go for a wander. :wink:

JC

Re: Have a photo exhibit day out!

Post by JC » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:11 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi DJ ,
I would've liked to have seen the Landscape Photographer of the Year show , as i took the " only " shot that was LF.
Unfortunately having just been made redundant, i was unable too.
I was under the impression I made it into the exhibition as well as the book, but I was pleasantly surprised by the book .
Which was of nice quality cover,paper and the printing etc.
Pity we don't have more photographic exhibitions up north, as I do like to attend.

Cheers JC

DJ
Site Admin

Post by DJ » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

JC wrote: I was under the impression I made it into the exhibition as well as the book, but I was pleasantly surprised by the book .
Which was of nice quality cover,paper and the printing etc.
It's possible I could have missed it, I did look for it at the exhibit, and don't remember seeing it. I imagine it was definitely in the slideshow on the projector, but I didn't watch that.

The book is a lovely thing and I always get it, but I've found the exhibition to be a "different" experience. I usually come away liking different images from those I favoured in the the book. Last year my favourite print was one I didn't regard that much from the book, but the print was stunning.

The same was true of the Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize exhibit, which I saw before seeing the "book". Looking through this some of the images printed small in the book aren't nearly so captivating as they were on the wall in very large prints ( some were 40"x60" ).

Sorry to hear about the job situation, I'm in the same boat myself, though luckier to be closer to London. The photo day was a way to cheer myself up from the economic situation, hence visiting the free exhibits only :wink: Don't let it get to you, things are on the up.

David Evans
Forum Hero

Post by David Evans » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

JC wrote:Hi DJ ,

Pity we don't have more photographic exhibitions up north, as I do like to attend.

Cheers JC
I agree, we could do with more in the North.

Having said that I have seen some good ones in the past - I still remember the Mary Ellen Mark exhibition at Manchester Art Gallery a few years ago, and the portrait photographer exhibitions at The Lowry are excellent also.

I haven't been to the National Media Museum in Bradford, but would have though there must be some decent photography exhibitions held there from time to time.

There's also an interesting looking small exhibition in the coffee shop at Abbot Hall called Ipaggery
David

robinb

Post by robinb » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Guys

If your in london soon then I recomend this exibition next door to kings cross station
I spent a good hour looking at the various exibits

http://www.bl.uk/pointsofview/

robin