Damaged 190mm lens - any hope?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
David Evans
Forum Hero

Re: Damaged 190mm lens - any hope?

Post by David Evans » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:11 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Kintokoba wrote:Psychic Vanman!! I was just about to search the site for ways to pay for repairs because Carol at Flutot's doesn't take credit cards or Paypal. So cash in the registered letter is ok you think?
Another option is to get an $ cheque. I needed one two weeks ago, and NatWest charge £8 for a cheque value up to £100, and £18 a cheque above that value. Fortunately mine came out at under £100! The charges are a bit steep but it's an option.
David

Kintokoba

Post by Kintokoba » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:25 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

You are a diamond, I'll keep my fingers crossed, cheers!

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Will get something out on loan to you Mike so you can get shooting :D

Ian

Kintokoba

Post by Kintokoba » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks to both of you :wink: I've been contacted by the seller, decent man it appears, quite mad but essentially decent. He's offered to pay for the shipping and have both the lenses fixed. I'm almost considering getting the 250mm fixed at my own expense because I'm sure to get it back sooner.

Check out the packaging, imagine the scenario, its a vintage wooden camera, plenty of glass and 3 heavy vintage lenses and a reducing back. It was not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

That's exactly how I received my camera... :shock: it was truly a miracle that anything survived!

vanman
Forum Hero

Post by vanman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:43 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just out of curiosity what exactly did you buy and how much did you pay for it? You might only think that you've been ripped off. You mention a vintage wooden camera, if it's a B&J or an early Ansco don't be downhearted, I've got one of each and I love 'em. The Agfa Anscos are better that they are reputed to be. You've got a camera, try it, use it and learn to cope with it's inadequaces (I know that I cant spell, but this is from the heart) and most of all enjoy it. LF can be done very sucessfully on a tight budget.
Vanman.

Kintokoba

Post by Kintokoba » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:14 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

That's the thing, I'm grown really happy with what I have come to realise that I am still very much in front. I've got a lovely Deardorff V8, a 10 x 8 and 5 x 4 back and a Kodak 305mm portrait lens :wink:
It could. and should, have been perfect rather than me staring at the possibility of a trashed 190mm and a repair bill for the 250mm.

The seller, good on him, has accepted responsibility now and will replace and repair both the damaged shutters whilst refunding the cost of the shipping back Stateside.

This episode has told me to never assume common sense. I really should have ensured that the seller understood that I wanted the camera well wrapped before I shelled out a wad of dollars...

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:37 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Did the guy really pack the camera in an old pair of pyjamas?

Kintokoba

Post by Kintokoba » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:52 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I promise you :lol: a pair of sleeves and 6 square inches of bubblewrap (partially popped)....

Acheron Photography

Post by Acheron Photography » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

It's bizarre how differently people pack LF gear. I had a 150mm SS HM from KEH that was damaged in transit thanks to their poor packing - but on the other hand, a 5x7 Arca from Germany arrived in the largest cardboard box I have ever seen, with a cornocopia of packing beads and about a mile of bubble wrap. The lesson to us Brits is clearly to be careful about things being posted in general and things from the US in particular...

David.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Acheron Photography wrote:It's bizarre how differently people pack LF gear. I had a 150mm SS HM from KEH that was damaged in transit thanks to their poor packing - but on the other hand, a 5x7 Arca from Germany arrived in the largest cardboard box I have ever seen, with a cornocopia of packing beads and about a mile of bubble wrap. The lesson to us Brits is clearly to be careful about things being posted in general and things from the US in particular...
David.
So true. Off topic slightly, I ordered some Herend porcelain cups from the US (via eBay) and most arrived broken because the sender stacked the cups, unwrapped, on top of each other. When I complained she tried to wriggle out of it by claiming that it was the fault of the US Postal Service and directing me to claim compensation from them. She didn't budge and refused to compensate me, so eBay blacklisted her. Still I lost over £100. I haven't bought from the US since. :evil: I can confirm that parcels from Germany are always well wrapped. :D
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thingy wrote:
Acheron Photography wrote:It's bizarre how differently people pack LF gear. I had a 150mm SS HM from KEH that was damaged in transit thanks to their poor packing - but on the other hand, a 5x7 Arca from Germany arrived in the largest cardboard box I have ever seen, with a cornocopia of packing beads and about a mile of bubble wrap. The lesson to us Brits is clearly to be careful about things being posted in general and things from the US in particular...
David.
So true. Off topic slightly, I ordered some Herend porcelain cups from the US (via eBay) and most arrived broken because the sender stacked the cups, unwrapped, on top of each other. When I complained she tried to wriggle out of it by claiming that it was the fault of the US Postal Service and directing me to claim compensation from them. She didn't budge and refused to compensate me, so eBay blacklisted her. Still I lost over £100. I haven't bought from the US since. :evil: I can confirm that parcels from Germany are always well wrapped. :D
Over the years I've bought a lot of items from the US, and in almost every case the packaging has been over-kill too muck padding and expanded corn foam, boxes vastly over-sized compared to trhe items.

In Mike's case though you'd think that the seller would have had more sense, I guess he's one of those now saying he won't ship to Europe because of too many problems :evil:

Ian