Cityscapes : you can't photograph here without authorisation

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Thingy
Forum Hero

Re: Cityscapes : you can't photograph here without authorisation

Post by Thingy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:57 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

davejt3 wrote:Its not just cities..... now a proud owner of stop & search papers from our finest while out in the snow on the N Y Moors within the vicinity of the Fylingdales area (Fenn Bog to be precise). I thought they had stopped to ask me whether I was stuck in the snow, silly me !! It was all very friendly and well done but I was neverthless very surprised that it has come to this.
I remember getting stopped near Fylingdales in the 1980s, despite being kitted out in RAF uniform (I was on a Royal Observer Corps training course) nearby. A man in civvies (dressed like a pheasant shooter) approached me armed with a shotgun, pointed it at my head and suggested that MOD ID card or not, I might like to put my camera away and scuttle off. Off I went with my colleagues, who were laughing at me upon my return to our car, we went over a hill, got out and photographed it! I got loads of free beers that evening in camp. :lol:
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

dennis
Forum Hero

Post by dennis » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:04 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ref tripods on pavements - I have known photographers to be moved on because they were 'causing an obstruction' even if there was no one else around. Depends on the policeman I guess. Dennis.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:18 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The reason why aircraft (including RAF) are banned from flying overhead is because of the danger to those flying, from microwaves. I recall that a hang glider pilot flew over Fylingdales in the days of the domes, and was literally cooked in seconds. I presume the newer pyramid arrays have the same hazard.

hmvmanuk

Post by hmvmanuk » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:47 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Yes, Thingy, I remember when I did some aerial photography over the Moors many years ago the pilot said that we must avoid flying over Fylingdales. As he put it, "If we do, it'll ruin your marriage prospects"!

Gavin

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hard to say how much of this is trumped up, but it has a veneer of truth:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/video/2010 ... otographer
Regards,
Charles

Patrick Dixon
Forum Hero

Post by Patrick Dixon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

That's outrageous. Those police officers should be disciplined for basically bulling a member of the public because he wouldn't give his name.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Patrick Dixon wrote:That's outrageous. Those police officers should be disciplined for basically bulling a member of the public because he wouldn't give his name.
I agree. It is helpful that he managed to capture two of the WPCs faces on video.

Marizu
Forum Hero

Post by Marizu » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:22 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles Twist wrote:Hard to say how much of this is trumped up, but it has a veneer of truth:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/video/2010 ... otographer
Regards,
Charles
My personal experiences give me no reason to think that this is trumped up. I have been subject to a search for taking some photographs of dustbin lorries in Manchester City Centre. Having searched my vehicle and checked me out for 20 minutes, they let me on my way but being accosted by armed officers invoking Sec 44 is really not very amusing.
This is the reason that I have gravitated towards portrait photography and also the reason that my dark cloth is so brightly decorated. I don't want anybody suspecting that I am behaving surreptitiously.
Having lived in the city for 40 years and having paid my taxes here for 20 years, I don't feel free to take photographs of the buildings that I grew up amongst.