Maxwell Ultra Bright Focussing screen

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Thingy
Forum Hero

Re: Maxwell Ultra Bright Focussing screen

Post by Thingy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Darwinean_John wrote:SV45U2
Then you need those special blue lines. Basically they make focussing quicker (the LF world's equivalent of autofocus) when you want to focus on a subject and have both fore and background in sharp focus. Say you are photographing a landscape with heather in the foreground and mountains in the background. The speedy easy way would be to focus first on the mountain, which being upsidedown on your screen will appear at the bottom. You use the focussing rail to get the image at the bottom line in sharp focus, using your lupe, then lock the focussing rail knobs (on your left hand side). Next you loosen the outer locks securing the back board and tilt the back until the image on the upper blue lines is sharp, then secure the outer locks. Usually only a couple of mm are needed. Your image will then be sharp across the whole plane. The feature is really useful if you have a limited time to focus, as I often do because of severe back pain! If you're normal, don't worry too much..... It is also very easy to use. Bear in mind that you are paying a premium for assymetric focussing.

PS: Some of us heretically disagree with Joanna on the benefits of the assymetric rear tilts. :twisted:

PPS: I've just donned my special teflon helmet...

PPPS: ...and am now secure in my Joanna-proof* bunker! :lol:

*patent pending
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote:
Darwinean_John wrote:How do the assymetric focussing lines help?
That depends on which camera you are getting. If you are getting a camera that has a 'U' in the model, then you will have asymmetric movements that are meant to help with focusing but that, in five years of using an LF camera, I have never found necessary. If not, all you need on the screen is a regular grid to help with composition and levelling.
You should also realise that a camera isn't particularly necessary either .. you could take pictures by mounting a peice of film on a board in a bag with a lens taped to the hole in the bag.. if you want stability, it would be good to hold both in a clamp of some sort I suppose.. You could always add a shutter if you're concerned about timing..

;-)

Tim

p.s. LET ME IN THINGY!!
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Heheh 8) :P
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

jennym
Forum Hero

Post by jennym » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:00 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi John,

You will probably have realised by now that some people have strong opinions about Ebony cameras with and without asymmetric rear tilt. Don't be put off by this. You have ordered a very nice camera indeed, and a Maxwell screen will make those wide angle lenses easier to use. Some people like lines on their screens, others prefer viewing a clear screen. Installing the screen is a very easy job. If you want to get off to a flying start using the camera, a LF course such as the one that Tim Parkin and Dav Thomas (http://www.landscapephotographyworkshop ... shops.html) or Light and Land (http://www.lightandland.co.uk/tours.asp ... &conId=401) run will be extremely helpful. The camera doesn't come with any instructions!

Good luck and enjoy!

Jenny

Joanna Carter
Founder

Post by Joanna Carter » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

jennym wrote:The camera doesn't come with any instructions!
Oh yes it does :-)

http://www.ebonycamera.com/media/sv45.users.guide.pdf

http://www.ebonycamera.com/media/asymme ... ements.pdf

Darwinean_John

Post by Darwinean_John » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thank-you everybody for your contributions and patience.

For those of you who may be interested, last night I was lucky enough to be offered a sub-12mth near-new demo U2 for a very good price (not a lot different to a sv45te). It seemed silly to turn down such an offer.
But as has been mentioned, I have big gaps in knowledge that needs to be filled quickly.
Still learning to see

Joanna Carter
Founder

Post by Joanna Carter » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:00 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Darwinean_John wrote:For those of you who may be interested, last night I was lucky enough to be offered a sub-12mth near-new demo U2 for a very good price (not a lot different to a sv45te). It seemed silly to turn down such an offer.
Excellent! As for using the asymmetric movements, you can either use them or not, depending on your personal taste but, if you do decide to use them, you will need the extra lines on the Maxwell screen - see the instruction leaflet I linked to in my last post for how to use them.
Darwinean_John wrote:But as has been mentioned, I have big gaps in knowledge that needs to be filled quickly.
Sounds like you could do with coming to one of our free workshops :D

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote:
Darwinean_John wrote:For those of you who may be interested, last night I was lucky enough to be offered a sub-12mth near-new demo U2 for a very good price (not a lot different to a sv45te). It seemed silly to turn down such an offer.
Excellent! As for using the asymmetric movements, you can either use them or not, depending on your personal taste but, if you do decide to use them, you will need the extra lines on the Maxwell screen - see the instruction leaflet I linked to in my last post for how to use them.
I get by with just a mark either side of the ground glass to show where the line is. The mark is about 5mm long at either end of the assymetric point. This makes it pretty simple to find out where to focus and leaves the ground glass nice and clear for composition (I don't particularly like grid lines - a clean, bright groundglass makes it easier for me to 'see the picture' - your mileage may vary though).

Oh I do like being contradictory ;-) (you did say 'need' though)

Tim

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

To be honest, if you are getting a Maxwell screen you have to use it with a coverglass anyway. If you just want a plain screen with the blue assymetrical markings, I think he does standard ones, and you might as well pay for this. Mine cost more because I had mine specially made with my desired markings. After paying over £4.5K for the camera, it was peanuts! :crazy:

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I can't believe that £4.5k doesn't buy you a camera with a suitable GG anyway! :roll:

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Gets you a nice badge on the front though. :P

Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

dave_whatever wrote:I can't believe that £4.5k doesn't buy you a camera with a suitable GG anyway! :roll:
When I ordered the camera in Oct 2008 the cost was £3K including VAT. Then there was the Sterling crash brought about by our greedy banks and when the camera arrived in April 2009 the cost had risen to £4.5K. As I'd already paid £1K deposit, the Badger Graphic secondhand option was not a realistic option. :'(

The money saved could have gone towards a Cooke PS 945 soft focus lens! :evil:

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:49 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

jennym wrote:Hi John,

You will probably have realised by now that some people have strong opinions about Ebony cameras with and without asymmetric rear tilt. Don't be put off by this. You have ordered a very nice camera indeed, and a Maxwell screen will make those wide angle lenses easier to use. Some people like lines on their screens, others prefer viewing a clear screen. Installing the screen is a very easy job. If you want to get off to a flying start using the camera, a LF course such as the one that Tim Parkin and Dav Thomas (http://www.landscapephotographyworkshop ... shops.html) or Light and Land (http://www.lightandland.co.uk/tours.asp ... &conId=401) run will be extremely helpful. The camera doesn't come with any instructions!

Good luck and enjoy!

Jenny
The Light & Land courses aren't disabled friendly (unless you can afford 121 tuition). What about the Parkin Advanced Course? :idea:

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thingy wrote:
jennym wrote:Hi John,

Good luck and enjoy!

Jenny
The Light & Land courses aren't disabled friendly (unless you can afford 121 tuition). What about the Parkin Advanced Course? :idea:
heh! We've renamed the advanced course cus we're not advanced in comparison with other advanced course so we're sort of semi-advanced so 'further large format' sounds less pretentious.. what is advanced anyway - does it mean you get to use your camera in snowy conditions, 'just a bit of understeer on that will sort out your diminishing perspective sir'...

jennym
Forum Hero

Post by jennym » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:56 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Steve, if you are interested in a course I would get in touch with the organisers and discuss your requirements. You may find that accommodation and locations are sufficiently accessible for those with reduced mobility, even if it is a little more effort for everyone! I was impressed how well you managed in Malden.
Cheers,
Jenny