Would Velvia F be a good substitute for Astia F?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
michaelo

Re: Would Velvia F be a good substitute for Astia F?

Post by michaelo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

No it wouldn't - I agree with the comments that Provia would be the closest from the East. I've also read that the Kodak g is close but has a tendency to colour shift early with long exposures - never tried it though.

I was gutted 2 years ago when I couldn't get any more Astia F in the UK as, at least for my taste, it was the best colour film ever. I've never ordered film from abroad as I've been too worried about it getting x-ray zapped on route. Am I too paranoid - is it a safe thing to do?

Regards,

MO

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

MO

Fuji itself is imported from Japan so I shouldn't have thought it would be a problem. My sheet film passed through an x-ray scanner on a number of occassions when I went on my cruise to Svalbard last year and there is no discernable degradation. Also I can only currently obtain sheets of 5x4 Acros and Astia F sheet film from Germany. I have 50 sheets and 20x120 rollfilms of Astia F in my freezer as it's now being withdrawn completely.

Steve
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:01 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've seen a couple of sites that suggest Astia F will be available in 20 sheet boxes (japan exposures for one) but not in Europe. Buying from the states is usually cheaper than buying from Robert White anyway.. ;-) (sorry Robert!)

Tim
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)

Kintokoba

Re: Velvia / Provia topic variation.

Post by Kintokoba » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I hope this request remains on topic enough? I didn't think it merited a new one since it is Fuji specific :)

I wonder if anyone would care to offer an opinion on the relevant merits of Velvia F and Provia for a project I am currently engaged in?
My subject matter is medal ribbon bars. I've read this article http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... ovia.shtml and am leaning slightly towards Provia.
The ribbons cover nearly the full colour spectrum with red being the most dominant.

This test shot for scale revealed another concern, that of the background which has become darker than the actual olive khaki. This test shot was on my D200 and and the actual colours are more subdued and less blue.

Thanks.

Kintokoba

Re: Anyone?

Post by Kintokoba » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:51 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

:lol:

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:08 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

With the caveat that I've never shot closeups of medals, I'll say that in a very strong reds velvia100F can block up a bit in the reds, so you might want to go with provia - on the other hand, I find provia has quite a smokey blue feel to the shadows. I'd try both.

Kintokoba

Post by Kintokoba » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:29 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Dave, i didn't fancy having to hedge my bets and buy boxes of both in 10x8... That said I guess I've got a reducing back for a reason and Mr Cad's out of date yet refrigerated stock beckons me :wink:
many thanks.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

That khaki looks more like dark grey, or being charitable, not dissimilar to my old (blue) greatcoat! :lol:

I suggest that you contact the Imperial War Museum's Photographic Archive, as they may be able to advise you.

Administration Section
Photograph Archive
Imperial War Museum
Lambeth Road
London SE1 6HZ

Tel: 020 7416 5333
E-mail: photos@iwm.org.uk
Web: http://collections.iwm.org.uk/server/sh ... ebDoc.1249

Alternately you could contact the MOD Medal Office below.

Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA)
MOD Medal Office
Building 250
Imjin Barracks
Gloucester GL3 1HW

JPAC Enquiry Centre:
Tel: 0141 224 3600

Web: http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Defen ... Office.htm
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

Kintokoba

Post by Kintokoba » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:57 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I was amazed at how wrong the colours could be in daylight with plain 'normal' settings, I cant believe that I was quite content digitally to manipulate until I was subjectively happy with the result that appeared from the gamut.
Film is such an exact and reliable equation, emulsion x kelvin x chemistry = regular result experto credite as Virgil said, trust one who has been through it. I bow to your collective & comprehensive experience.
That's a fair old idea about the museum section, thanks. Chances are someone remembers using film there :wink:

Cheers!