Focus

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
vanman
Forum Hero

Focus

Post by vanman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:44 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Has anybody been to Focus yet? Is there anything special to look out for (not Photoshop, please)?
I'm probably going today or tomorrow.
Thanks,
Vanman.

DJ
Site Admin

Re: Focus

Post by DJ » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The usual really, a few box shifters, a few OEMs, very little large format stuff, except at Linhof Studio, which aren't cheap.

Highlights I remember :

Paramo are there and I got to check out the dark-cloth in person, seems like a nice bit of kit but I'm not sure I need it. Joe Cornish was on the stand extolling the virtues of their products.

Light & Land are also there.

Tucked away right in the corner ( stand L43 ) is Silvershotz, a fine art photography magazine. Very nicely produced magazine, beautiful pictures, you can get selected back issues for £2 each, or subscribe to the current volume for a show special of £39, you walk away with the three current issues, two portfolio issues and three more issues to come (it's bi-monthly). Enjoying mine, quite inspirational images.

You can pick up the latest new monthly issue of British Journal of Photography for £2 at the show, that's £2 well spent of anyone's money in my book.

Tucked away at the back are MPA ( Master Photographer's Association ). They have some presentations running, but also a gallery display of some absolutely wonderful fine art prints, the best images I saw at the show, excellent work.

Ilford / Harman stand. Details of the digital B&W chemical print service, and of their impending range of papers in collaboration with Hahnemuhle. You can also register with them to get a discount card for their products from their shop valid until Jan 2011. Well worth doing IMHO, 10% off B&W media and 25% discount off inkjet paper anyone?

Adobe are there running short presentations on their software. Colour Confidence are there for your CMS questions.

Paterson are there showing the only darkroom/processing equipment I saw at the whole show.

There was a company there called Professional Film Direct (H7), who were selling 4x5 film in about 5 types, the one I wanted was priced higher than I can get elsewhere so I didn't bother. They had Velvia 50, some Tungsten balanced Fuji film I forget, Kodak T400, Ilford D100 & FP4 and some Polaroid instant 4x5 stuff, and some instant B&W of a slightly smaller size iirc.

Box shifters, Jacobs ( who's prices seem higher than normal ), Cameraworld (few offers), 1stCameras (cheapest of the three).

I got there at 11am and didn't leave till it shut at 6pm, and I'm sure I missed some stuff.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Having just looked at Silvershotz, I too think I will take out a sub.

http://www.silvershotz.com/
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

vanman
Forum Hero

Post by vanman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi DJ,
I thought that I posted a thank you reply earlier. I'll pop down there in the next couple of days (it's only about 10 miles away) and follow your advice.
Many thanks,
Vanman