Arca Swiss Z1 vs Really Right Stuff BH-55

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
David Rees
Forum Hero

Re: Arca Swiss Z1 vs Really Right Stuff BH-55

Post by David Rees » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

David Evans wrote:Too late for Thingy, but out of interest has anyone got or tried one of these? https://www.isarfoto.com/cms.php/_pid:2 ... odukt.html
Since David asked about this head, let me chip in:

I have two of these - I bought one to try, for my GX680 system (bulky and heavy); and found that it worked extremely well. Locks up completely solid, and no creep on lock-up either. After using it for 6 months with the GX system, I bought another to go on the legs I use for my large-format system. I've been very happy with both.

Only issue is sourcing a clamp to put on the head. I use the Arca-swiss style camera plates, and so there are a number of choices. I decided to go for the Acratech clamps. Very compact, very light, and extremely strong. Also highly recommended.

Yves Roulin

Post by Yves Roulin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

After many trials with relational and ball heads from Gitzo (among them 1370 M) on Gitzo tripods, I discovered Arca Swiss B1. All the problems (stability, leveling, panoramic, etc) I met with very long focals (for 24x36 format) were much more easier and completly solved with the arrival of the Cube. Since that time I use the Cube with my Misura (to easily solve the rear standard tilts and swings) and discovering later the P1 with the pan stage, I can recommend it for 99 % of the time I play with my 4x5 " cameras.

Yves Roulin

Post by Yves Roulin » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:53 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

This post just to say I fully agree with Emmanuel Bigler. My previous comments were to give results and feelings from my expensive experiments. Even the costly Cube Arca Swiss is worth the expense, it is always useful in my case, not like a lot of cheaper Gitzo heads spending their time in storage (garbage expenses).