Advice sought re. best bag and also tripod head

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
uniB

Re: Advice sought re. best bag and also tripod head

Post by uniB » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:17 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Actually I see the Gitzo G2272M does have a quick release plate
http://www.peaklandscapes.com
Large format landscape workshops in the Peak District:
http://www.largeformatworkshops.co.uk

David Evans
Forum Hero

Post by David Evans » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

uniB wrote:David – the Osprey Atmos looks like a nice bag, what do you pack the equipment in within the bag though? It looks like the front panel only opens to about 2/3rds of the way down, I'd have thought that'd make access to the contents diffiult? The Waypoint looks like it opens closer to the bottom of the bag though.

Good advice about the 410 tightening, I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Another question – the Gitzo G227xx heads look nice but I don't think I'd be able to cope with not having a quick release plate – isn't it a pain screwing the camera on every time you want to use it??
The Osprey Atmos does just open to 2/3rd of the way down, but I find it's only a problem if there is something rigid in the outer pocket (a quickload holder and film in my case, so I unpack that first). I have two padded cases made to measure by Bags for Everything https://vault1.secured-url.com/SecurePa ... index.html. Both have handles, and one fits the 4x5 camera and a lens. and slots nicely in the bottom of the pack. Quite often I only take one lens out with me, but if I take more lenses, I use a Photobackpacker three lens case that fits next. Then the other Bags for Everything bag fits next and holds tripod head, lupe, light meter etc. If the lens case is included, there is just room to fit a Lee filter x 10 case, and the filter holder and odds and ends are in the outside pocket. The tripod can be strapped to either side and doesn't unbalance the pack. There's quite a bit of spare room with one or two lenses, but it starts getting tight if carrying more. Very comfortable backpack.

With the Manfrotto 410 head some people pierce a hole in the 'end labels' but I've found that they can be carefully peeled off and then put back, so no cosmetic sign of removing.

I haven't got one, but the G2272M has a Gitzo QR plate. I haven't got a G2271M either, but would think that a RRS QR clamp could be fitted to it quite well. Gitzo do an Arca QR converter, but I've not seen one and have read very mixed reviews about it (basically saying it doesn't work!).
David

uniB

Post by uniB » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:05 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Sounds like an interesting idea David, I'm after a bag for a cut down kit, probably just a Chamonix, 3 lenses, couple of Grafmatics and the extra required bits needed, so I'll check the Osprey out.

I had a go today at tightening the gears up on my 410 but it didn't work – it still has play in it :(

Cheers
Dav
http://www.peaklandscapes.com
Large format landscape workshops in the Peak District:
http://www.largeformatworkshops.co.uk

Dave Tolcher

Post by Dave Tolcher » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:19 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The comments on the gitzo/arca qr adapter are correct. The adapter only works with genuine arca plates. It does not work at all with kirk plates or generic chinese plates (and I assume others), the bevel angle is correct but on non arca plates the profile isnt correct to allow it to slide into the key. It works perfectly with the rail on my arca camera and is strong and secure.

Marc Wilson
Forum Hero

Post by Marc Wilson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

interesting stuff.
after my recent days skiing with my full kit, and this last weekends trekking around hadrians wall and the derby peak district I really need to sort myself out with a better bag than my current dakine sequence...when I say better i just mean more comfortable really...with perhaps a bit more pocket room.

the photobackpackers do look good but i need to be able to take this bag on airlines with me so that rules it out.
the lowepros etc I find too heavy to start with so really need to find a good front loading trekking backpack, that i can put my dakine insert block (or similar), have room for darkslides, film, meters and other bits and bobs and also attach a tripod very very securely and still take as carry on.

the search goes on...

David Evans
Forum Hero

Post by David Evans » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

marc wilson wrote:interesting stuff.
after my recent days skiing with my full kit, and this last weekends trekking around hadrians wall and the derby peak district I really need to sort myself out with a better bag than my current dakine sequence...when I say better i just mean more comfortable really...with perhaps a bit more pocket room.

the photobackpackers do look good but i need to be able to take this bag on airlines with me so that rules it out.
the lowepros etc I find too heavy to start with so really need to find a good front loading trekking backpack, that i can put my dakine insert block (or similar), have room for darkslides, film, meters and other bits and bobs and also attach a tripod very very securely and still take as carry on.

the search goes on...
When I flew with large format gear I packed the empty backpack and tripod in hold baggage, and the camera gear and film in a non photo wheeled carry on bag. Seemed the simplest option.
David

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:01 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

dave_whatever wrote:I'm sure there are better bags available if money if no object (check out the f-stop bags for serious outdoors use)...
Has anyone seen or tried one of these bags? I have been looking at the Tipola but can't make up my mind if I could fit a small 5x4 kit within?

Marc Wilson
Forum Hero

Post by Marc Wilson » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:14 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Barry,

I've just checked thr dimensions of the tipola and its included internal camera unit against my dakine sequence.
Its all just a little bit bigger which is good and perhaps better in terms of comfort and weight?

I carry a field camera+3 lens kit, etc, etc in the sequence so that should give you an idea as to what the tipola will hold.

not sure where the tripod is meant to go though?

Marc

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:28 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

marc wilson wrote:Barry,

I've just checked thr dimensions of the tipola and its included internal camera unit against my dakine sequence.
Its all just a little bit bigger which is good and perhaps better in terms of comfort and weight?

I carry a field camera+3 lens kit, etc, etc in the sequence so that should give you an idea as to what the tipola will hold.

not sure where the tripod is meant to go though?

Marc
Thanks for the prompt rely Marc and the details of the kit you fit in your pack. The Tipola sounds like its ideal for my requirement. Currently they are offering free postage to the UK! I'm getting long in the tooth so I want to replace my heavy Lowepro and reduced the amount I carry. The have seen (somewhere) an image showing a tripod strapped to the side.

Barry

Marc Wilson
Forum Hero

Post by Marc Wilson » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:34 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

make sure to check the dimensions of the icu with them...the sequence for instance is very different in spec to what it actually is so best to make sure...the fstop looks like a great bag.

just to let you know I've had a couple of things sit in cutoms for nearly two weeks recently from the us, and import handling fees seem to have risen recently also, so i hope you're not in a rush!

Marc

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:40 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

marc wilson wrote:make sure to check the dimensions of the icu with them...the sequence for instance is very different in spec to what it actually is so best to make sure...the fstop looks like a great bag.

just to let you know I've had a couple of things sit in cutoms for nearly two weeks recently from the us, and import handling fees seem to have risen recently also, so i hope you're not in a rush!

Marc
No rush, I just have to prize the CC out of my wallet!

I will check the ICU dimensions, thanks again.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:00 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

uniB wrote:Actually I see the Gitzo G2272M does have a quick release plate
It does, but the level used to screw it to the mount cannot be used with an LF camera and the level stops you tightening it. I learned the hard way! :roll: :'(

The Arca Swiss tightening knob is the only really practical QR device, though I preferred the Acratech indent, though you only benefit if you use Acratech or Really Right Stuff's plates.

Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

Dave Tolcher

Post by Dave Tolcher » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

It does, but the level used to screw it to the mount cannot be used with an LF camera and the level stops you tightening it. I learned the hard way! :roll: :'(
Not sure I understand this - I havent had a problem with anything I have tried the head with.