Flying with tripod in hand luggage?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Marizu
Forum Hero

Flying with tripod in hand luggage?

Post by Marizu » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I was wondering whether anyone had any recent experience of flying with a tripod in hand luggage.
It's a Gitzo carbon job with a Manfrotto ball head.
I was thinking about making a trip to Sweeden and taking an MPP.

Cheers,
Marizu

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Re: Flying with tripod in hand luggage?

Post by dave_whatever » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Unless you can get it into a standard handluggage-sized bag I doubt they will be that impressed by anyone trying to carry on a tripod. Might be worth asking whoever you're flying with though, you never know.

When i've flown with tripods I've packed it in the checked-in luggage, no problems. I wouldn't see the point of carrying it on unless you're flying ryanair and trying to get away without checking in any bags.

David Rees
Forum Hero

Post by David Rees » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have a gitzo G1228 pod, with an Acratech Ultimate (V1) ballhead, which will fit in hand luggage if I detach the ballhead first. However, it would not be my first choice for LF work.

Last time I flew (to the US, Oct '09) I took my G1348 (again with Acratech Ultimate). I detached the head, and packed it inside a shoe, then placed the shoe, and the tripod, inside a suitcase packed with clothes, to provide support. I used the clothes to pad the tripod (much to the disgust of my wife, who simply doesn't understand these things... :) ). Suitcase went in the hold, and my camera kit went with me into the cabin. Tripod came through fine, both ways.

FWIW, the bag I carried in the cabin was a Lowepro Nature Trekker AWII, which fitted fine in the overhead lockers, both on the interrnational flight, and on US internal treks. No questions asked about size or weight (just as well on the latter -- it was full!). The G1228 + Acratech could have fitted in the Nature Trekker, but at the expense of too much gear I needed.

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I fly with a tripod occasionally, usually I put it in my suitcase, but when I brought my Manfrotto to Turkey I put the head in my case and wrapped the tripod with bubble wrap and it went in the baggage hold separately.

Ian
Last edited by IanG on Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

DJ
Site Admin

Post by DJ » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've taken my tripod abroad quite often, and had differing experiences. I always put it separately in proper padded tripod bag and check it. My experiences are mostly concerned with flying to the US from the UK.

The airlines for quite a few years now have had a 2 bag limit on checked luggage and my tripod is always a third piece ( large Peli case with camera and other gear, small case for less important things like clothes and toiletries :D ). Generally my experiences are better on the UK side than the US side. The UK side generally accept it without much problem, once I explain it's a tripod and probably not the sort of thing they would want in the cabin, that it's very light and just a small bag they usually just check it no problem. The US side usually try to charge me extra luggage fees to check it but I point out that I didn't pay to bring it out so I'm not paying to bring it back. Sometimes they will suggest taking it as an extra carry-on bag ( usually the US side do this ), but I point out it's a large metal stick with a cast magnesium head on it, and the x-ray security point won't allow something like that through anyway. Twice I've spoken to a supervisor (only on the US side), told them what it was and that I don't think it's a good idea to take it into the cabin, and they just have them check it straight away with a "well that's no problem, what's all the fuss about?" attitude.

Just be honest and courteous with them, explain it's a tripod and that you're happy to either check it or take it as carry-on and will do whichever they suggest, but you're concerned that being a large metal club it is possibly something that should go in the hold :wink:

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:07 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

DJ wrote:The airlines for quite a few years now have had a 2 bag limit on checked luggage and my tripod is always a third piece
I had a very helpful check in clerk in the US, who told me to use (and supplied) a couple of cable ties to attach the tripod bag to my main bag. Voilà! one piece of checked luggage instead of two 8)
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

craigmagee

Post by craigmagee » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:47 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Doubt you have a chance of getting it through as carry on!

I have a few friends who skateboard and they now have to put their decks in their hold luggage
when they go abroad as they never get them through security. Even though they have them attached to a backpack
with strapping and protection for them!

Who are you going to be flying with? If its any of the budget airlines and you manage it, let us know!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Craig Magee - http://www.craigmagee.co.uk - http://blog.craigmagee.co.uk

joolsb
Forum Hero

Post by joolsb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:14 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I think the bods manning security might not like to see something which could appear, on the x-ray, to be an offensive weapon. Expect a bag search at the least.

That said, I also put my 'pod in hold baggage, padded with clothes. Never had a problem yet. I have had a few queries about my camera, though, which I carry in my hand baggage with a lens attached and a couple of times I've been asked about the packs of QL in my bag - at least that's one less thing to worry about now.... :wink:

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I think Joanne meant strapping a tripod to checked in hold baggage, here in Turkey the airports will shrink wrap items together, but all baggage security is done before you check in, it's scanned as you enter the terminal, and thoroughly with inspections.

At Izmir tomorrow I'm sure I'll have to explain my Wista again after it's spotted because most operatives there never see LF camera's, but it's fun, they are intrigued and show genuine interest.

Ian