ACCESSIBILITY?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
PAUL O
Founder

ACCESSIBILITY?

Post by PAUL O » Mon May 01, 2006 10:15 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Further to a discussion that we had at Somerset, I was wondering what people's views/thoughts/opinions are on "opening" up the group to further "members"? At present we have in the region of 50+ names on the mailing list from interested parties - these names have come about as a result of the advert for the workshops on the Robert White web site as well as postings on some of the internet-based forums. Mention was made about recruiting more "members" to the group - what do you feel? Should we restrict the numbers to those people already on the mailing list or should we look to encourage new people? The only "restriction" I suppose we have on numbers is the fact that it has been decided that logistically-speaking a "workshop" can cater for a maximum of 30 people.
The bottom-line is do we need to "launch" the group/web-site/forum on the unsuspecting world or keep it to ourselves? Your thoughts would be welcome! Paul

David Rees
Forum Hero

Post by David Rees » Mon May 15, 2006 11:45 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul,

Good to meet you at last, at the Somerset workshop.

As a relative newbie to LF, I have been very appreciative of the help and support provided by you in the past, and also available from everyone at the recent workshop. Though I understand that any particular meeting must have restrictions on attendees, I think the forum, and the group, should be made available to as large a number of participants as we can attract.

As professional photographers by and large migrate from medium and large format to digital, it is to the benefit of all who remain with such systems to encourage others to try them, if only to help boost film and film processing volumes, in the hope of keeping both commercially viable for as long as possible. I consider both MF and LF relatively cheap alternatives to the rush to high-end digital, as long as one isn't shooting thousands of frames a year. So let's try to get as many photographers as we can to be aware that we exist, and that help and guidance, via the forum, and now and then from the workshops, is available if desired. And after all, LF is *much* more fun than digital! Let's spread the word!

David.

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Tue May 16, 2006 12:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I think we should make this forum known to those outside our present group. If we did get too many takers for the gatherings, we could then expand the number of gatherings rather than sticking to two per year. It would also be good for more localised gatherings. I don't thinlk we would be swamped, there is a limited number of LF users in the UK, and to many photography is a solitary past time, not everybody makes their best images when in a large group.

I do think we should agree our name first.