fingerprints

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
leon taylor

fingerprints

Post by leon taylor » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:13 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Can anyone give me any tips regarding avoiding getting fingerprints on the film when loading/ unloading film holders? I do suffer with clammy hands, so that is probably half the problem here.

I find it fairly impossible to load the DDS with only holding the film on the edges, and absolutely impossible to get the film out without touching some of it, and this is leaving visible (and printable) fingerprint marks all over the top edge of the film.

I'd be concerned about cloth gloves and dust ... maybe latex gloves are an option? what works best for other people?

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Re: fingerprints

Post by BarryWilkinson » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:36 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Leon,

I think the best answer is powder free latex gloves if you can get used to them? One idea that may help...

I find the most awkward part is holding the film holder loading flap open whilst trying to load the film. I saw a jig made by another photographer which held the film holder and the open hinged flap. The film holder is easily clipped into the jig in darkness, loading was then quite easy as you had only to get the film started in the slots. Unfortunately I did not take any images of the jig but it was simply made from perspex with a fold at the end to hold the flap open.

Marizu
Forum Hero

Post by Marizu » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:40 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I can usually hold 5x4 sheets in one hand without fingers getting on the film.
10x8 is another matter. In that case, I have my fingers supporting the non-emulsion side of the film, almost like a waiter holding a tray. I had assumed that fingerprints would have less impact on the non-emulsion side because they wouldn't need to be washed away by the developer before it started working on the emulsion.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:35 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Another vote for latex gloves. Or vinyl gloves, if you're allergic. I like gloves too at the processing stage to avoid any effects from toxic chemicals (I saw what the fix solution did to the blade of my scalpel :shock: ).
Best regards,
Charles

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I just wash & dry my hands immediately before sticking them in my "Pup" tent and hold the edge of the film by the clipped part. This way I only "write off" the first 5mm or so of film at that edge. :)
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

Trevor Crone

Post by Trevor Crone » Sun May 02, 2010 10:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Leon, I wear nitrile (latex free) gloves which I buy quite cheaply on Ebay.

They are chemical resistant so are also great for handling darkroom chemicals.

joolsb
Forum Hero

Post by joolsb » Mon May 03, 2010 8:07 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Whilst I always try and avoid getting marks on the film in the first place, I find that the odd fingerprint simply doesn't show up on scans. It may well be a different story with darkroom printing, of course...

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Mon May 03, 2010 8:56 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Leon, I can't get on with latex gloves as I can't feel what I am doing, so I wash my hands with fairy liguid(other washing up products are available) and dry my hands. Once I have given them time to air dry as it were, I go for it.
I don't have problems with fingerprints, dust is another thing all together :?

Welcome to the large side.

Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!