Field Outdoor Tripod Tent Mobile Darkroom - anyone got one?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
michaelo

Field Outdoor Tripod Tent Mobile Darkroom - anyone got one?

Post by michaelo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:21 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello all

I need to be able to load DDs on location and am looking for an upgrade to my existing changing bag. Having picked myself off the floor when I saw the Harrison prices, I've now come up with these - Field Outdoor Tripod Tent Mobile Darkroom for LF - on eBay plus the Calumet Changing Room - http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/RM1000/ .

I've emailed Calumet for the actual folded dimensions as the published ones are impossible but meanwhile, does anyone have experience of these? Instinctively I'm leaning towards the 'Field Outdoor' as I like the idea of supporting small business so would be especially keen on hearing of anyone's experience of this one.

TIA & TTFN
Michael

Patrick Dixon
Forum Hero

Re: Field Outdoor Tripod Tent Mobile Darkroom - anyone got one?

Post by Patrick Dixon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:40 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Haven't got a Tripod Tent but I do have a changing bag from the same seller and I'm happy with it. The tripod support looks like a good idea.

Bogdan_B
Forum Hero

Post by Bogdan_B » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:56 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm using the very same Calumet cube(as I call it) to load DDS's and reel/drum. The position of the sleeves is a bit awkward but that's my only complaint. I'm not sure about using it in the field, only because the folded size is a bit on the big size so it will be difficult to carry. The folded dimensions on Calumet's website are right. The cube basically folds in half by pushing the top of the sleeves wall.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've a Harrison Standard tent which I've had for ages. It is a superb bit of kit, easy to set up and they do seem to have gone up in price! The Claumet one looks a bit like a lastolite reflector and I still haven't managed to fold them in a hassle-free manner.

The Pup is apparently a bit tight for loading some film, so I went large....

My Harrison tent will shortly be available, but need to sort out a price for it.
Baxter

hmvmanuk

Post by hmvmanuk » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:35 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I bought a Calumet Changing Room after recommendations on this forum. It's very good and easy to use at home but I would tend to agree with Bogdan_B that it wouldn't be very practical outdoors in the field, although it would be fine to use in a car. The tripod tent wasn't 'on my radar' when I was looking but it looks an excellent solution to in-the-field film changing and much better than a conventional changing bag.

Gavin