To ''Maxwell Screen'' or not to ''Maxwell Screen''

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Bogdan_B
Forum Hero

To ''Maxwell Screen'' or not to ''Maxwell Screen''

Post by Bogdan_B » Thu May 20, 2010 1:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm having a little bit of a lens shuffle to shave some weight and acocomodate the need to use a centre filter,on a 80/90mm lens for my 6x17 back, and on a future super-wide lens. My options are as follows:

- get a Nikon 90/f8(something like a IIIb or the Rodenstock equivalent will fit this nicelly) and a Maxwell HI-LUX Briliant Matte or the Plus version(not sure if its worth the $80 difference - please enlighen me if know better) that will probably make life easier with my other lenses.
or,
- get a 80XL and leave with it, beeing a bit wider then the 90mm I'm used to and also with the longer exposure caused by the centre filter.

As Jennym said, and i hope she doesn't mind quoting her: ''I think every piece of kit is a compromise and you just have to decide what compromise is going to work best for you''. I hope some of you guys can help in making the decision.

jennym
Forum Hero

Re: To ''Maxwell Screen'' or not to ''Maxwell Screen''

Post by jennym » Thu May 20, 2010 1:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Bogdan,

Although Maxwell screens are expensive, they do make a massive difference to the brightness of the gg with wide angle lenses, and I don't regret buying one a few months ago. I cannot imagine trying to focus a superwide lens without one! But you may need to close your eyes and swallow hard as you reach for the wallet.... The ebony WA fresnels are also very good with WA lenses, but not so good as a general fresnel. I don't know what camera you use but you may find it would fit. I understand Keith Canham also uses 'Maxwell' screens in his Canham cameras, so again you may be able to pick up a used Canham screen.

BTW I don't find I need a CF with my Nikkor 90 f8 on my 5x4, but do adjust the exposure and grad the top half of the image if I use a lot of rear tilt.

All the best in your search for a good solution....

Jenny

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Thu May 20, 2010 1:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

There's always something like the super angulon 90mm f/5.6 or the rod/nikon 90mm f/4.5s, but can I assume you've already ruled these out due to the weight?

Bogdan_B
Forum Hero

Post by Bogdan_B » Thu May 20, 2010 2:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

jennym wrote:Hi Bogdan,

Although Maxwell screens are expensive, they do make a massive difference to the brightness of the gg with wide angle lenses, and I don't regret buying one a few months ago. I cannot imagine trying to focus a superwide lens without one! But you may need to close your eyes and swallow hard as you reach for the wallet.... The ebony WA fresnels are also very good with WA lenses, but not so good as a general fresnel. I don't know what camera you use but you may find it would fit. I understand Keith Canham also uses 'Maxwell' screens in his Canham cameras, so again you may be able to pick up a used Canham screen.

BTW I don't find I need a CF with my Nikkor 90 f8 on my 5x4, but do adjust the exposure and grad the top half of the image if I use a lot of rear tilt.

All the best in your search for a good solution....

Jenny
Sorry the following should have been included in my original post:
My setup at the moment is a Chamonix 045n-1, Nikon 90/f4.5(that I'm looking to replace for reasons quoted in the main post) and a future 58XL or a Nikon 65/f4 plus of course other lenses that have no immediate effect in regards to this post.
The idea behind this change, is to get a single centre filter that i can use on both the super wide and the 90mm and of course save some weight. I'm not planning to use the centre filter on 4x5, i use the very same method you've described above, is only my 6x17 back that ''asks'' for one.
dave_whatever wrote:There's always something like the super angulon 90mm f/5.6 or the rod/nikon 90mm f/4.5s, but can I assume you've already ruled these out due to the weight?
I already ruled those out mainly because the filter size and then the weight.

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Thu May 20, 2010 10:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I would get a specific wide angle fresnel for use on ultrawide lenses.. You won't get a good single fresnel that will handle 58-300mm..

A standard fresnel (I have the standard maxwell) is good from about 80-240... over 240 and you get some wierd effects (hot corners) and below 80 (or possibly 72) you will still be doing a lot of head moving.

I borrowed Joe's ebony wide angle fresnel on a switchable back and it was amazing with the 80mm - like using a 150mm 5.6 lens!

Tim
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)

Nigels
Forum Hero

Post by Nigels » Fri May 21, 2010 10:16 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have both the 80XL and the 58XL and standard GG for use with my RSW. Here are my comments;

1. The 80 is hard work on the GG and it follows that the 58 is even harder. I'd love to get a WA GG that would make life easier. I do use up to 270mm focal length and have resisted a WA GG so far because the last thing I really want is to carry an additional GG and therefore change it when using the WA lenses. However, can anyone tell me how much the WA GGs are (Ebony and Maxwell) and where I would source them (especially the Maxwell). TIA.

2. As for centre filters, I shoot landscapes and like the slight darkening at the corners so have never felt the need to put a CF on the 80.

The old lifeboat station at Towan Head near Newquay, Cornwall (Ebony RSW with Fuji Velvia 50 Quickload, 80mm lens, 1 sec @ f/45, Polariser)

Might be different if trying to shoot architecture. However, the 58 is a different story. The CF is a must. I use the Schneider IIIb and picked it up 2nd hand for £150.
Regs, Nigels.
[User of Ebony 45SU + 58, 80, 150 & 270 mm Lenses, and all the essential bits]
"He wears the sweeping landscape in the crystal of his eye."

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Fri May 21, 2010 10:33 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Nigels wrote:. However, can anyone tell me how much the WA GGs are (Ebony and Maxwell) and where I would source them (especially the Maxwell). =.
I don't know the price but I know Baxter has a WA fresnel and frame for sale at the moment - I'm pondering buying it myself but not sure I can afford it. He's selling it for £300

The Maxwell would be sourced from Bill but you'd have to send an Ebony frame to sit it in as it needs some adjusting.. The whole lot would cost you about £700 - probably a bit expensive ;-)

Tim

Bogdan_B
Forum Hero

Post by Bogdan_B » Fri May 21, 2010 10:56 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

timparkin wrote:I would get a specific wide angle fresnel for use on ultrawide lenses.. You won't get a good single fresnel that will handle 58-300mm..

A standard fresnel (I have the standard maxwell) is good from about 80-240... over 240 and you get some wierd effects (hot corners) and below 80 (or possibly 72) you will still be doing a lot of head moving.

I borrowed Joe's ebony wide angle fresnel on a switchable back and it was amazing with the 80mm - like using a 150mm 5.6 lens!

Tim
I already ruled a wide angle one because of extra cost and weight. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get an extra Chamonix frame.
Could you be a bit more specific about the weird efects on a 240mm(Fuji 240A) and possible 300/f9 Nikon? Do you have any experience with a 90/f8 Nikon and your Maxwell screen?

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Fri May 21, 2010 11:14 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Bogdan_B wrote: I already ruled a wide angle one because of extra cost and weight. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get an extra Chamonix frame.
Could you be a bit more specific about the weird efects on a 240mm(Fuji 240A) and possible 300/f9 Nikon? Do you have any experience with a 90/f8 Nikon and your Maxwell screen?

It's nothing really bad, you just get a bit of a 'hot spot' in the middle (like you would with a wide angle, but not as bad). Difficult to describe. This gets a lot worse with a WA fresnel and makes the Ebony WA fresnel unusable above a 150 (ish)..

I don't have experience with the f8 Nikon I'm afraid. I would expect the maxwell to make a substantial difference from what I've seen on other cameras (Dav has a standard Maxwell on his Chamonix)

jennym
Forum Hero

Post by jennym » Fri May 21, 2010 11:36 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I agree with Tim on the Ebony WA fresnel - fantastic for wide angles (better than a Maxwell I found) but I did not enjoy using it above 110mm. So you have to decide whether to carry an extra back....

The Nikkor 90/f8 is no problem with a Maxwell screen. Noticably better than the standard ebony fresnel (which is not at all bad). I have also found an 80mm and a 72mm to be fine. I haven't tried any wider than this.

Do check out Dav's blog on how he fitted his Maxwell screen to his Chamonix. http://www.peaklandscapes.com/blog.php?entry=10

How good are your woodwork skills?

Bogdan_B
Forum Hero

Post by Bogdan_B » Fri May 21, 2010 1:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

jennym wrote:
Do check out Dav's blog on how he fitted his Maxwell screen to his Chamonix. http://www.peaklandscapes.com/blog.php?entry=10

How good are your woodwork skills?
My DIY skills are very good. I just phone someone who knows what he's doing :wink:
I've already checked Dav's blog and also had a conversation with Bill Maxwell. Bill was kind eonough to give me the details of a company in US that can fit the screen properly, not that Dav's method is not good for someone with a bit of DIY skills.
timparkin wrote: I don't have experience with the f8 Nikon I'm afraid. I would expect the maxwell to make a substantial difference from what I've seen on other cameras (Dav has a standard Maxwell on his Chamonix)
In ''How to fit a Maxwell screen....'' post on his blog, Dav mentioned the same lens swap possibility, that I'm on about, I was hoping he might update the post at some point or even join this discussion(that's me crying for help in a very manly way :D )

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Fri May 21, 2010 3:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I use the Hi-Lux Brilliant matte Maxwell screen and find it gives a bright and consistent image (usually without the need for a darkcloth, under good lighting conditions!) for all my lenses from the Nikkor 90/f4.5 through to my Nikkor 300/f8? It gives a clear, though dimmer image with my Rodenstock 75/f4.5 (though I need the darkcloth). Using the 58XL is rather dim for poorly lit architectural work. If you are using these lenses for architecture, you really would benefit from the brighter image produced by the faster lenses, though I admit that I too find the Nikkor 90/f4.5 a little on the heavy side for general use. :mrgreen:

As for centre filters, I was advised by Robert White, from whom I bought my Nikkor 90, that a CF filter was not really necessary for a 90mm lens. I only use CFs with my 75mm and 58XL lenses. Joanna told me last year that she didn't need to use a CF with her 72XL, and unless you are doing architectural photography, the lighting eveness is not really necessary IMHO.

Personally I think you should consider paying the extra, for the Hi-Lux Brilliant screen as the difference is significant.
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

AbsolutelyN

Post by AbsolutelyN » Thu May 27, 2010 3:29 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have the Hi-Lux 4.7 brilliant matte maxwell screen and have found it to be an improvement over the Ebony wide Fresnel on all of my lenses - 47mm to 120mm (especially the 47xl - though it's still not exactly bright). Personally I would have thought a 90mm would be fine without a centre filter on 5x4, I've certainly no need for one on my Nikon 90 f/4.5. A centre filter on both my wides produces better negs in my opinion (65 + 47). Although both are perfectly usable without, and I love vignetting, I'd still rather have an even neg as I find they scan better without struggling with underexposure.

By the way, does anyone have any idea how to clean a Maxwell screen? I've been caught in a few serious downpours in which it ended up getting wet leaving marks where a couple of drops of water have been. I'm guessing there is nothing that can be done about it.

Cheers,
Tristan

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Thu May 27, 2010 5:53 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

AbsolutelyN wrote:By the way, does anyone have any idea how to clean a Maxwell screen? I've been caught in a few serious downpours in which it ended up getting wet leaving marks where a couple of drops of water have been. I'm guessing there is nothing that can be done about it
I have a couple of water drop marks on the edge of my screen. Although I haven't tried it yet, I would suggest a quick dunk in warm water with a drop of washing up liquid, possibly aided by a very soft brush. Then shake off the majority of the water drops and dry gently with a warm hair dryer.
Disclaimer I accept no responsibility for the quality of this advice 8)
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

RichardP

Post by RichardP » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I got a mucky oily screen last year on holiday when changing from 5 x 4 to 6 x 17 back on the Isle of Sky with all the spraying of skin so soft to try and keep the midges at bay. Anyway when I got home I thought I would give Bill a ring to ask him how to clean the screen, and he said no washing up liquid as it can starch, he said I was to use baby shampoo and distilled water and a very very soft brush, I got a very soft good quality artist brush.

Richard

As Joanna wrote "Disclaimer, I accept no responsibility for the quality of this advice"

But must say it worked for me.