Interest Check

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere

I would be interested in the following:

Access to B+W Darkrooms
24%
Access to Colour Darkrooms
No votes
Access to film scanning (Imacon, Epson etc.)
20%
Access to A3 + A2 Inkjet Printing
12%
A1 + A0 Inkjet Printing Service
4%
Access to studios + Lights
4%
Access to C41 film processing
8%
Access to Dry Mounting
4%
Drum Scanning Service
24%

Total votes: 25

deadpan

Interest Check

Post by deadpan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:45 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi all,
at work we've been throwing around a few ideas...

We run a BA (Hons) Photography Degree in Suffolk (Near to the coast). The staff here have been throwing around some ideas about opening up some of the equipment to the public over the summer holidays/ other times when students are not using the facilities.

We run a degree that uses both traditional (Analogue) and emerging media (Digital, CGI etc.)

We have 2 darkrooms (Both Colour & B+W, with provision for medium & large (4x5) format). There are processors for RC paper in both darkrooms + a 20" RA4 processor in one. Basically you can dev + print up to 4x5 in colour or B+W (resin or FB), dry, mount etc.

We have a dry to dry roller C41 machine that takes up to 4x5 (I'm working on 8x10)

We have 2 x Studios (One white, one black) with bowens celing system in one, and broncolor pack system in the other.

One digital lab containing 6 Scanning booths comprising 2x Imacon,  1x Nikon &  3x Epson (V700/750 & A3 flatbed & film) Scanners, all connected to intel chip Imacs. The imacons have most holders available for each from 35 up to 4x5. 8 Mac retouching computers around a central work area along with provision for (bring your own) laptop spaces & ports.3 mac printing stations connected to 2x  Epson 4880 (A2) and 1x R2400 (A3). All of these machines are colour managed.
There may also be an opportunity to print A1 & A0 inkjets on site.

Large drymounting vaccum presses (One is approx 50" x 70") & large benching area for cutting prints.

Like I said at this point this is just an idea, and i'm looking into what interest there would be, along with how it would be managed. We would probably offer pre booked access paid hourly or daily - and we would then look into what was feasible etc.. It might be an option for some of you to liase with us if you wanted to run a workshop nearby, or organised groups or individuals wanted to use the facilities. At present none of this is established or worked out, so I am not looking for specific dates on when you want to come, but rather trying to see if this is a possible venture for us to look into (we are looking into others too). Statements of interest & feedback, therefore are welcome.

Many Thanks,
Matthew.

Fourtoes
Forum Hero

Re: Interest Check

Post by Fourtoes » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Wished I lived near you guys.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Re: Interest Check

Post by Thingy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

A workshop for B&W wet process printing would be interesting as I haven't done this since the 1970s - I think it might have changed a bit since the days when I wore flared trousers and flowery shirts! :oops:

I'd also be interested in learning how to use an Imacon scanner so I could compare it's usage etc with my V750.

If you're near Shotley Gate it would be even better.... Lots of interesting, delapidated buildings and interesting subterrainean structures (below the Martello Tower) which are perfect for LF B&W photography.
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......