The ultimate tripod head?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Emmanuel Bigler
Forum Hero

Re: The ultimate tripod head?

Post by Emmanuel Bigler » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:53 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have found a picture of the d4 / d4m head with a new compact clamp dedicated for the newer and narrower plates, hence I now understand why some could be worried, but I am sure that one of the d4 models at the photokina was fitted with a double dovetail clamp, with a classical and simple screw-lock which is the most universal since its compensates for small variations in widths from one plate manufacturer to another.
One could think that the Arca Swiss offer is becoming very complex, but in another photokina hall, there was the Gitzo booth, and Gitzo ballheads and 3-D heads were displayed on a 10mx2m table, in two rows... an incredible choice.
if you add ALL manufacturers of tripods and heads either present at the photokina or on the Internet, plus various copies thereof :mrgreen:, you could have the impression that all photographers as of 2010 use a view camera any time and never take pictures hand-held ;);)
Last edited by Emmanuel Bigler on Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:32 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Tolcher

Post by Dave Tolcher » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:49 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I had a chat with RW and they thought it was likely (at least as an option) to be the same dual format clamp as currently available.

Emmanuel Bigler
Forum Hero

Post by Emmanuel Bigler » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:43 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Here is a picture of the d4 at the photokina; taken with a camera I'm not allowed to mention here ;)
This d4 model is fitted with the dual-dovetail clamp and classical screw-lock.

The classical clamp bears the two dovetails and has been re-designed with rounded corners in order to be more compact.

Reassure yourself : stroke the classical screw and the classical dovetail, they are available ! ;)

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

If RW are going to stock it, will Stu be doing a demo on YouTube..... using a LF camera rather than his trusty D700?
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

Dave Tolcher

Post by Dave Tolcher » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:07 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

That is one nice looking piece of gear......

Dave Tolcher

Post by Dave Tolcher » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:52 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

For info, Robert White has these in stock now and sadly I have succumbed. They are damn nice though and has enabled me to rid myself of 2 other heads which are now served by one.

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:00 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

davejt3 wrote:For info, Robert White has these in stock now and sadly I have succumbed. They are damn nice though and has enabled me to rid myself of 2 other heads which are now served by one.
Any chance of a review for GBL? Would love to know what you think..
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)