Presentation of LF at Bolton Camera Club

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Presentation of LF at Bolton Camera Club

Post by Joanna Carter » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:03 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi folks, just to let you all know that I will be speaking at Bolton Camera Club on Thursday 28th October at 7:30pm. Guests are welcome, just let me know if you would like to come and support the cause :)
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

mark e mark

Re: Presentation of LF at Bolton Camera Club

Post by mark e mark » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:05 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Joanna,
Hope the talk went well. Any interesting questions from the floor?
MPP VII and VIII user + Walker XL 57

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:35 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Mark

Yes, the evening went very well. When I did the presentation, I didn't do it as a "from the front" session. I prepared by setting up the camera on a tripod and placing about 6-8 40" x 32" prints around the room. I started with a short intro to myself and the type of camera I use, followed by a brief description of the big pictures. Then I had several large tables with a load of A3+ proof prints and people circulated around the tables, looking at, discussing and asking questions. After the break, I issued the challenge for anyone to have a go at loading a double dark slide using a Calumet Dark Room :twisted:

What worked so well was that people were able to ask all sorts of questions and not be fixed in a chair, in a darkened room, watching a never-ending procession of pictures. Those who wanted to were able to see what it was like to look through the camera and see the peculiar effect of front tilt giving a "band" of focus, which moved up and down when you focused in and out :lol:

We had about thirty people there and nobody seemed to be bored. One of the members took the opportunity to build a new easel for showing photographs, which could easily take a 4' square picture :!: ; something that came in useful for me and, maybe will prompt others to break out of the "standard" 50cm x 40cm matts into bigger things.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Nigels
Forum Hero

Post by Nigels » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:57 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Good one Joanna.

We had a spare evening at our camera club last year and so I volunteered to talk about LF. I thought just 15-20 mins to give our members just a taster. I was quite surprised by the interest in LF since everyone in camera club land has embraced digital to the almost total exclusion of film of any size.

I started by arriving with my ruck sack packed and allowed people to test it for weight. Gasps ensued! I then showed all the gear and how its used. I had some prints but nothing bigger than A3 unfortunately. My little adhoc talk ended up being nearly an hour including questions and discussions.

Although I was surprised by the interest, unfortunately it didn't result in anyone having a go for themselves - yet.

I want to get a decent set of prints together and do something a bit more formal and take it to local clubs - one day!

p.s. Took it to a still life studio evening last week and after taking a couple of pictures with the camera, my 45SU became quite a populer subject for a few people. :-)
Regs, Nigels.
[User of Ebony 45SU + 58, 80, 150 & 270 mm Lenses, and all the essential bits]
"He wears the sweeping landscape in the crystal of his eye."