Broken Epson V700?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Paul Arthur
Forum Hero

Broken Epson V700?

Post by Paul Arthur » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi there

I've been scanning a load of transparencies from my recent trip to Norway and have hit upon a problem this afternoon. When I scan a transparency in either Vuescan, Epson Scan or Silverfast, all I get is a white screen, with occasional red flashes on. It's the same in preview as it is in full scan, and it won't give me anything other than a white screen with some noise on it.

I've tried scanning in reflective mode and it works ok, but it won't do transparency. Does it sound like a lamp is malfunctioning, or is it simply that my scanner is knackered?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

Patrick Dixon
Forum Hero

Re: Broken Epson V700?

Post by Patrick Dixon » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:54 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Are you sure you aren't obscuring the area it uses to calibrate itself - near the hinge? If you're using the holders the wrong way around for example.

Paul Arthur
Forum Hero

Post by Paul Arthur » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hmm - that's perfectly possible, as I've tried to not use holders and I was using card masks to hold the film against the glass. I would bet that they were covering that area.

Had you seen this before?

I shall check tomorrow when I go back to the studio.

Thanks!!

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:03 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The most common symptom of dirt flecks in the calibration area is lines on the scan. So, if you are covering the calibration area totally, I would guess you stand a very good chance of seriously messing up the scan :shock: 8)

If you need to continue using card masks, simply cut a recess in the end that matches the standard film holders. Oh, and make sure dust from the card doesn't lie in the calibration area.

Hang on… did you say you were holding the film against the glass? If so, have you got the only V700 in the world to be focused on the glass instead of above it?
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Paul Arthur
Forum Hero

Post by Paul Arthur » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:47 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Fixed!!!

Great stuff - I'm back in action again! Thank you both.

Joanna, I am holding the tranparency against the glass because it's more in focus that when it's in the holder, although having looked, I'm using the holder in it's highest setting. Will try the lower setting to see if it helps.