War of the parallel worlds

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere

Do you prefer the old or the new website?

Poll ended at Thu May 18, 2006 7:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

old
No votes
new
100%

Total votes: 6

Charles Twist
Founder

War of the parallel worlds

Post by Charles Twist » Thu May 04, 2006 7:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The present website is rather garish and it seems some folk are having trouble navigating it. So, with help from Paul O, I have a new design. Take a look at http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/home2.htm . Let me know if you prefer it. If the majority response is negative or don't care, then I'll leave the exisiting one rather than spend time moving designs. The parallel site is not polished and a couple points of detail can be improved immediately. It's the overall feel, friendliness and usability that matter and should be commented.
I look forward to hearing your views.
Charles

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Thu May 04, 2006 11:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles, Paul,

the new deesign is excellent. Simple and straight forward. I like the little touch with the shutter blades as bullet points.

As a little thing, can we occasionally rotate the image in the top left? We don't want to be too Ebony centric, do we? Otherwise everybody starts stroking their cameras like a certain person from South Wales! :roll:

Overall, I'm impressed!

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Fri May 05, 2006 5:53 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I prefer the new design, but as mentioned, it needs tidying up. When moving from the first page, the text then runs into the bullet points.

SteveH
Forum Hero

New Site

Post by SteveH » Fri May 05, 2006 7:47 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I like the general feel of the new site; there is obviously a bit of tidying up to do to get it perfect, but that is only to be expected from a pilot site.

If you are looking for a few suggestions....

Add a privacy statement

Make it clear that membership is limited to UK LF people (or is it????)

Lower the contrast on the diaphragm icon

See if you can find a graphic logo for the group to give it a distinctive character - A tea cup and saucer perhaps?

Steve
Big is beautiful.

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Fri May 05, 2006 1:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Mark

The camera logo is indeed an Ebony! However, the version I emailed to Charles was heavily manipulated using a watercolour effect and looked like any other wooden camera!
BTW, what's wrong with stroking your Ebony? :lol:

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Fri May 05, 2006 6:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul, I am delighted to read you are at last questioning the significance of stroking one's Ebony. Mind you, I am due to take delivery of a re-bellowed Toyo45A (should be pleats + bag hybrid bellows but haven't seen it yet), which could make me go very maternal...
Steve H: what do you mean by privacy statement (my ignorance)? As for membership to the forum, that is left entirely to the discretion of our beloved postmaster. (Be kind to him or be cast out to a wilderness without a plentiful supply of film.) Maybe we should decide on a policy, now that we have apparently agreed a name for our little "group". Paul?
Steve B: strange what you say about the type ploughing into the button. But nothing I can do much about. It's a matter of how big your screen is and what the resolution is. I suspect people with large screens and high resolution have the opposite problem to you: it's all bunched up in the top left corner. Or so I believe: correct me if I am wrong.
Jo said that the type should be sans serif. It is, but does not appear so to her. Does the type appear serifed for anybody else?
The buttons were provided by Paul. I do not know where he "borrowed" them from, so I am happy for them to be obscure for the time being. I like the idea and wish to continue in that vein. Can someone provide us with a legally-useable, legible button???
As for the camera, again we need a picture or a generic diagram. I reckon that I will have to acquire a digital camera just to be able to take a picture of my Toyo. Much better than an Ebony, anytime. I mean, can you bang nails into the wall with an Ebony?
Charles

SteveH
Forum Hero

Post by SteveH » Fri May 05, 2006 6:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Charles,

Any type of website that takes info from people (e.g. this forum) should have a privacy statement; this basically says that we will hold safe your information 8) . Also we should say that the posts are not representative of the views of the organisation (UKLFPG) as protection against the legal effects of a defamatory post :evil: (even accidental) on the forum.

I will try and find some examples. :idea:

SteveH
Big is beautiful.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Sat May 06, 2006 7:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I am not sure we need a privacy statement. The website content is decided by me although I much appreciate the input of others. The forum content: when you registered, you agreed not to present offensive material. There are moderators who can remove such material. Without the moderators, I would agree with you. With them, I think that we have the duty to be careful.
Charles

SteveH
Forum Hero

Post by SteveH » Sat May 06, 2006 8:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Charles,

There are two separate points here.

The privacy statement says that we will look after your information and identity; if we never hold any info on users, we may not need one. Take a look at the statement from a company I was Head of IT for - http://www.go-nursing.co.uk/privacy_policy.asp to see what a full statement looks like.

The disclaimer protects us against un-moderated posts. Even with a moderator it is possible for someone to take offence and for this to get out of hand.

A bit of back protection in the digital world never hurts! :D

Steve
Big is beautiful.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Sat May 27, 2006 5:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Good evening all LF'ologists!
Your website has been updated! Please take a look and come back to me with any comments, (deliberate) mistakes, etc. At the end of the day, it is your website, destined to hold what you want: I am only a (temporary) custodian. If something needs changing, shout about it - telepathy is not within my remit.
Drop me a line if you want to add your individual portfolio, or if you want to amend it. I will probably remove the names of participants who show little activity in a once-yearly tidy-up.
If you would like to add links to or from the site, again just get in touch.
All the best, your webmaster,
Charles

www.lf-photo.org.uk - bigger is better