Ultra Large Format & Focus On Imaging

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Rod

Ultra Large Format & Focus On Imaging

Post by Rod » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi,

Just been sent some details of the forthcoming Focus On Imaging event at the NEC. It included this short video http://www.focus-on-imaging.co.uk/show- ... rausch.htm about Jennifer Trausch who it seems will be present at the show. Suddenly my 5"x4" seems rather undersized :( .

Anyone thinking of going to the event? I went last year to look principally at monitors, but found many other things of interest.

Regards,

Rod.

Ed Moss

Re: Ultra Large Format & Focus On Imaging

Post by Ed Moss » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Will try and go if it fits around work and it's not Sunday!
The Capture One tutorials were good last year.

TimH

Post by TimH » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:29 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've been most years recently apart from one where I went skiing (without the LF!). I'm planning on going on the Monday - I usually meet up with Nigel (Sutton) in the coffee bar / foyer area. There isn't a huge amount for the film shooter these days but there is usually an opportunity to pick up things like Printer paper on good (poss even VAT free) deals, as well on larger stuff. I got a good deal on a mat cutter a few years ago. There's quite a bit to see tho' - its a worthwhile day out... regards Tim...
Digi-snapper now (finally) turned LF shooter hmm been doing this long enuff - Now LF photog !

Nigels
Forum Hero

Post by Nigels » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:07 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'll second what Tim says. Its always a worthwhile day out. I have bought on recent years my Manfrotto Carbon tripod on a VAT-free deal, my Pentax digi Spotmeter on a VAT-free deal, good deals on the 410 head and the Silvestri 6x Lupe. Looking out to see if anyone is doing an unmissable deal on a 3880 printer this year. There are always plenty of pics to see and most years Joe Cornish is doing a short talk on one of the stands. But have also seen David Ward and Andy Rouse who is very entertaining. Will be there on the Monday this year.
Regs, Nigels.
[User of Ebony 45SU + 58, 80, 150 & 270 mm Lenses, and all the essential bits]
"He wears the sweeping landscape in the crystal of his eye."

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Nigels wrote:I'll second what Tim says. Its always a worthwhile day out. I have bought on recent years my Manfrotto Carbon tripod on a VAT-free deal, my Pentax digi Spotmeter on a VAT-free deal, good deals on the 410 head and the Silvestri 6x Lupe. Looking out to see if anyone is doing an unmissable deal on a 3880 printer this year. There are always plenty of pics to see and most years Joe Cornish is doing a short talk on one of the stands. But have also seen David Ward and Andy Rouse who is very entertaining. Will be there on the Monday this year.
Hi Nigel,

I might bump into you on the Monday as It's the only day I might have free to get there - top brass visit at work and a good day to book off ;)

How did you manage to find a Pentax digital spotmeter these days and still new?

I've found some good deals on manfrotto stuff in the past as they were bringing out new models but tend to have been looking at the D-word stuff in recent years ;)

Andrew
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

Nigels
Forum Hero

Post by Nigels » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Apple wrote:
Nigels wrote:I'll second what Tim says. Its always a worthwhile day out. I have bought on recent years my Manfrotto Carbon tripod on a VAT-free deal, my Pentax digi Spotmeter on a VAT-free deal, good deals on the 410 head and the Silvestri 6x Lupe. Looking out to see if anyone is doing an unmissable deal on a 3880 printer this year. There are always plenty of pics to see and most years Joe Cornish is doing a short talk on one of the stands. But have also seen David Ward and Andy Rouse who is very entertaining. Will be there on the Monday this year.
Hi Nigel,

I might bump into you on the Monday as It's the only day I might have free to get there - top brass visit at work and a good day to book off ;)

I've found some good deals on manfrotto stuff in the past as they were bringing out new models but tend to have been looking at the D-word stuff in recent years ;)

Andrew
Andrew,
Whoops! Might have been a bit misleading. I did say recent years. Looked it up and it was actually 2004. Jacobs had them on their price lists but not at the show. The very nice man let me order one at the vat-free price at the show and it turned up free p+p a few days later. I think I was lucky as its now an essential part of my gear!
Regs, Nigels.
[User of Ebony 45SU + 58, 80, 150 & 270 mm Lenses, and all the essential bits]
"He wears the sweeping landscape in the crystal of his eye."

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Nigels wrote:
Apple wrote:
Hi Nigel,

Andrew
Andrew,
Whoops! Might have been a bit misleading. I did say recent years. Looked it up and it was actually 2004. Jacobs had them on their price lists but not at the show. The very nice man let me order one at the vat-free price at the show and it turned up free p+p a few days later. I think I was lucky as its now an essential part of my gear!
I thought it might have been a few years ago :)

I don't use mine much but as you say, essential bit of kit so I'd be lost if mine failed :( I think mine cost under 300 quid new and the last I saw was Jessops wanting the thick end of 700 quid quite a while ago :shock:

Andrew

Adrian Twiss

Post by Adrian Twiss » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:14 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Disappointed to note that Nova Darkroom, Morco and First Call Photographic are not exhibiting this year.

Georges Giralt

Post by Georges Giralt » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Two years back I bought a Pentax spotmeter new.
IMHO it is still on the Pentax price list.... in Japan ...
Maybe if you ask the GB importer he can get one for your ?

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:56 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Georges Giralt wrote:Two years back I bought a Pentax spotmeter new.
IMHO it is still on the Pentax price list.... in Japan ...
Maybe if you ask the GB importer he can get one for your ?
Georges,

Thanks for the info - I'll bear it in mind as I'm not desperate to get another one just yet but you never know...

It's still listed under http://www.pentax.jp/english/products/f ... thers.html but there's no price given.

Andrew

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:49 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Rod

If it's ULF that you're considering getting into, there's a wealth of info on the web, such as:-

1) the dedicated thread over on apug;
2) numerous posts on the LFPG; and
3) http://www.mamutphoto.com/ which seems to have petered out as an ongoing blog site etc - however there's some decent stuff on there, sadly William Corey (who was interviewed on there) is no longer with us

regards

andrew