Controlling the end-to-end process

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Darwinean_John

Controlling the end-to-end process

Post by Darwinean_John » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:28 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I recently purchased a Jobo CPE2 processor and I’m keen to start turning out my own work.
But rather than rush in and mess up the first batch of negs (colour and B&W, 4x5 and 6x17) and slides (4x5 and 6x17) due to an avoidable mistake (materials, technique or process), I’d like to :
- gather any ‘rookie’ development tips from you experienced guys out there
- and perhaps arrange to meet up with someone to watch them process their own. Perhaps someone in East Anglia (Ipswich) or South-East (East London) regions?
Thanks
Still learning to see

richard littlewood

Re: Controlling the end-to-end process

Post by richard littlewood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:53 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just a few things I've noticed about the CPE2 and films....

First off I like the thing, especially with sheet film. It works well, motors can be an issue long term, but for anyone wanting consistency and maybe small bulk processing, they are a bit more than OK.

With the sheet film holders I've found it best to develop only 4 sheets per holder, missing out the middle slot. Also I've found much better even processing if I leave off the black plastic wings. Some people swear that these wings do wonders for perfect negs, but I think they do the opposite and were only introduced by Jobo as a means of making each reel hold 6 sheets without them touching each other. I've never had a sheet jump out of a slot due to leaving them off, but I'm sure you will hear otherwise from CPE2 sheet film dev'ers.

As for the roll film holders I've never had a great deal of joy there. Sure they work, and develop film, but I've found they introduce edge build up down each side of the length of a 120 film. So much so that I abandoned this method and stick to stainless inversion tanks. The reels load well etc so all I can say there is give them a go with your own film and dev, and see what happens for you, although for me the CPE2's ability is is with sheet film.

The motor can struggle with more than 800ml of solution.
Temperature can be maintained dead accurate.
Speed 2 is the way to go.
Wash the system/films out after fixing with a few loads of water before removing the tank and using the tap for a forced wash.
Emulsion side IN always.
Crank it all up at least half an hour before use to let the water bath heat properly, and give it a stir now and then to help it along.
The plastic body feels crappy but it's tough!

Not much more at all. They are really very easy to use, and like all darkroom stuff, it's all in the practice.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Richard

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:00 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I think the black wings on the 2509N reels are to do with circulating the juice properly, I'm not aware of them being anything to do with sheets touching each other (not that they can anyway) or sheets coming out (not that they could). I use them and do 6 sheets per reel, I'm not seen anything to indicate there's any problem. A lot of the internet folklore about only using 4 sheets relates to the older 2509 (non-N) reels.

I can only speak for E6 but I would recommend getting the water to more or less the right temperature when you fill the water bath as this will save you that hour (or for E6 much longer) of letting it warm itself up from cold.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

dave_whatever wrote:A lot of the internet folklore about only using 4 sheets relates to the older 2509 (non-N) reels.
That is certainly my understanding and, having the 2509n reels myself and, having offered to load someone else's 2509 reels, I can vouch that there is a world of difference between the two reel types; the 2509n is much easier to load. I always process with six sheets at a time with no problems of film touching or escaping.
dave_whatever wrote:I can only speak for E6 but I would recommend getting the water to more or less the right temperature when you fill the water bath as this will save you that hour (or for E6 much longer) of letting it warm itself up from cold.
The caveat is that you don't get the first developer, and by implication the water bath, too close to its working temperature, otherwise you will start the processing cycle before the first dev is fully warmed. If I remember correctly, for colour, this should be less than 30°C and for B&W, less than 22°C. At least, that is the guidance for the ATL1500 processor.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

richard littlewood

Post by richard littlewood » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Sadly my experience with the CPE2 comes from developing b+w only. It may be different for colour, but as we all know b+w developer is agitation sensitive, and I've often thought colour processing is more time dependant rather than time/agitation of b+w. Sure the chemicals need some movement, but there is a world of difference in a stand, semi-stand or constant agitation b+w process.

This is why I ditched the black plastic wings developing b+w. Have a look at a reel fully loaded with 6 sheets with the wings on and imagine it diving in and out of the developer. It's difficult to imagine how they promote even development. The inner sheets get an almost uninterupted rotary seeing to, but the middle and outer sheets get their solutions via the sides of the reels, and the wings actually prevent a smooth rotary action.

I found using 6 sheets with the wings the inner sheets were good, but the middle and outer sheets had weird subtle patchyness, always consistent, always in the same place, sometimes ruinous, and a pig to correct in print - especially in flat sky, snow, clear skies etc etc. This happened with all b+w films in various developers. Drove me mad. On some negs it was no issue at all due to the image type, but others were honestly duff. This may not be the case with colour, I dont honestly know.

I've just processed 72 5x4 sheets - finished 5 mins ago - and looking at the negs I think they are as good as I can get them. This is using 4 sheets per reel, inner and outer slots, and no wings, 2 reels, 8 sheets in one go, 600ml of dev, with a 3 min pre soak, lifting the drum to dump a little slower and smoother so the sheets stay put. It's not really a good idea to use all 6 slots due to the bow of the film, and with 6 in use the short edges of the sheets do make contact in use without the wings, so 4 it is.

What I get doing this is incredibly even negs. No patchy areas, no build up, no streaks, none of the issues I previously had with 6 sheets and the wings.

All I can say is give it a go. I'll never use those wing things ever again.

All the best
Richard