Imacon Flextight Precision

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Dave Tolcher

Imacon Flextight Precision

Post by Dave Tolcher » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

There are 3 old scsi models of this scanner on *bay at the moment. Anyone have any experience of these oldies to give a clue as to whether they are worth a punt over a s/h drum scanner ? Anything to look out for ?

Thanks

deadpan

Re: Imacon Flextight Precision

Post by deadpan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:01 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

We have one Precision II and one 646 at work. In regards to a true drum scanner, they are different animals, but the Precision II is nearly on par with the 646 (a newer model) the precision is slightly slower, but I believe is nearly the same model. In my exp. the precision is easier to open up to clean etc. (I take no responsibility for damage caused). The only real downside that I have experienced is the scsi interface. The scanner came with an imacon scsi to fw converter, but we couldn't get it to work, and Hasselblad didn't recommend it either!

I think I ended up finding one from the states that cost us a further £100ish to get it up and running, but since then it has run fine (with the occasional service from H/blad).

For 5x4/ medium format etc. they are perfect, but a drum will always be better imo, but they also take alot of setting up/ fettling/ space/ mess etc. etc. The only thing to watch with Imacon generally is the holders split after time, and can be over £100 to replace.

Hope that helps.

craigmagee

Post by craigmagee » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have a Precison II and its a great scanner.
Deadpans covering everything there. Though mine works fine with a Belkin scsi2fw Adapter, it has the odd 'fit' but I used to work on a photo and 848 and they did the same things! Christian Poulsen told me once the internals in the Photo, Precision and 848 (so 646 as well) were all the same, only difference being the interface and scanning time. Though my Precision on my G5 is faster than a friends 848 on an old G4 so the driving computer has an effect as well!

I always found the scans to look 'cripser' than a drum scan as there is no oil/gel to smooth the grain out, but thats a downside of the Imacon as it shows up the grain.
Also I found primary colors to be bolder off the Imacon but that could just be a subjective thing I guess.

Only other thing I'd add is that the bulbs are apparently a pain to get now so try and find out if they are nice and bright and even or not!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Craig Magee - http://www.craigmagee.co.uk - http://blog.craigmagee.co.uk

Dave Tolcher

Post by Dave Tolcher » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks guys

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Dave

I've had a Precision II for a good few years and it's been superb.

Issues with SCSI connectivity were main headache, but all solved. Initially with Adaptec card in a G4 and then with a RATOC SCSI/FW converter which works fine with an Intel Mac Pro.

Scanning Colour neg is more problematic than B&W and E6. Grain seems to be pronounced, so I run through Neat Image to reduce it.

I generally only scan 5x4 at 1020ppi unless I know it is going to be printed large.

Mine is sitting here waiting to go and visit that Bay which you mentioned.
Baxter

deadpan

Post by deadpan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Baxter wrote: a RATOC SCSI/FW converter which works fine with an Intel Mac Pro.

I think we run ours through a RATOC too - over to a intel imac. Incidentally, all the flextight software is available as download, which is refreshingly nice, although I think 'officially' hasselblad have stopped supporting the older models, but hasselblad still come out and service both of ours, and offer advice etc.