Out of date film

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Oliver

Out of date film

Post by Oliver » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:15 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've been given a pack of Fuji Acros in 5x4 that is 15 months out of date and has been kept in a wooden box in my neighbour's attic. (Needless to say, it's now in my freezer.)

I'd like to use it for contact printing salt prints, for which I need a high-contrast image. I'd probably process it in Rodinal using a Paterson Orbital.

Given the likely condition, does anyone have a recommendation for (1) exposure settings (one stop, two stops over?) and (2) development?

Thingy
Forum Hero

Re: Out of date film

Post by Thingy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

If its been kept cool there should be no problem. All my remaining Acros QL stock (admittedly kept from new in my freezer :roll: ) is older and still produces correctly exposed images with standard exposure.
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi, and thanks for your reply. (I was beginning to think nobody had heard of such a situation!)

OK, then I'll try it with just the normal adjustments for high contrast. Thanks again.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:01 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Oliver wrote:Hi, and thanks for your reply. (I was beginning to think nobody had heard of such a situation!)

OK, then I'll try it with just the normal adjustments for high contrast. Thanks again.
I think you'll find many of us here using technically out of date QL stock. I have around 1000 QL sheets in my freezer at the moment! :mrgreen:
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thingy wrote:
Oliver wrote:Hi, and thanks for your reply. (I was beginning to think nobody had heard of such a situation!)

I think you'll find many of us here using technically out of date QL stock. I have around 1000 QL sheets in my freezer at the moment! :mrgreen:

I think the difference might be that yours have been well stored, whereas my neighbour's attic - while dry- is no doubt hot in summer and cold in winter. But it's worth a try ( the stuff is so rare - except, of course, in Essex :-). )